Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AnthraX Linux Kernels Remain Closed Source

Phoronix: AnthraX Linux Kernels Remain Closed Source

AnthraX, a kernel used by some for their mobile Android devices as an alternative to the stock kernels or those from other open-source Android projects for reportedly offering better performance and functionality, is still refusing to release the kernel's source-code even though it's based on the Linux kernel and subject to the terms of the GPL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They are not distributing the kernel publicly and therefore have no need to release their source code.

Blame the other devs from XDA who ripped off Chad's work passed them as their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      They are not distributing the kernel publicly and therefore have no need to release their source code.
      offering the kernel on a web site for everyone is for me distributing publicly, even though if you have to regesiter first. and the argument by the dev seems absurd. if he would just commited upstream his changes there would be no danger that other claims his work.

too bad that gpl-violation detects a lot of license violation but somehow i do not remember that they every enforced the law.

Comment

I've just had a quick look and this whole situation is a lot more complicated and drama-full than the above post would lead you to believe.

From my take on it, the Kernel in question has never actually been released or distributed, in binary form. Thus, the author isn't violating GPL, but the guy claiming they are has a long history with them. There's a lot of back and forth between them all.

Comment

This kinda explains everything:

The GPL gives Chad, myself, and everyone else rights to use code from CAF. We are not required to share compiled binaries with YOU or anyone else. And per the definition of "distribute" as defined in GNUs FAQ, Chad nor myself never distributed any kernel you are requesting source for - therefore we do NOT have to provide YOU source. If you "legally" obtained the kernel directly from Chad, myself, or any member of Chad's team - you would have a written and notorized letter of authorization. This letter provides directions on how to obtain source code.

Every kernel you obtained is a LEAKED copy. Like I stated before, your best bet is to ask who you got it from for source, and I know for a fact It did not come from Chad or myself.

Even if you were accidentally given rights to download the kernel, you still need the written letter of authorization, as you were never given rights to connect to the server you got the kernel from (if it came from Chad's (or my) ftp or web server).

Now, a word of advise...
          you claim that we are illegally using someone else's code...
          If it is licensed under the GPL, we have the legal right to use the code.

Your statements are considered slanderous and defamation of character.

If you want to claim we are doing something illegal, it would be in your best interest to post either the penal code, or civil code being violated. If no civil or penal code is violated, no law is broken. PERIOD.

The repeated GPL violations of your personal friend faux123 (aka Paul Reioux) has cost him ALL rights under the GPL, making every kernel posted since his 1st proven violation a copyright violation.

His most recent violation is a Moto G kernel, posted 12/24 on XDA and G+, and as of today, there is NO source for it, and requests for source remain unanswered.

And yes, ALL of your posts are being reported to google for harassment, and this action does delete them from public view.

Have a good day.
          /thread

Comment

NVidia or fglx like behaviour?

Personally I dunno why these guys are bad whereas Nvidia blobs are ok, but I suppose I don't understand.

In any case, if they say that they aren't distributing the binary kernel, that's fine. If there is a website which is distributing pirated code (including their stuff) then that isn't a new issue, and a DCMA takedown seems like the obvious course of action. It should be noted that if you have the AnthraX kernel and you don't have a letter of Authorization, then you are running pirated code. If you have a letter of Authorization, then you should have acces to the source code.

I don't know what the agreement that you need to sign with these guys is to get the letter of authorization. Presumably an NDA of some kind, but it wouldn't override the GPL. You personally would be in violation of their NDA, but the GPL would allow you to re-distribute the source code, other people would not be party to the NDA.

Why not just not go anywhere near these guys?
            Last edited by OneTimeShot; 02 January 2014, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kushan View Post
              I've just had a quick look and this whole situation is a lot more complicated and drama-full than the above post would lead you to believe.

From my take on it, the Kernel in question has never actually been released or distributed, in binary form. Thus, the author isn't violating GPL, but the guy claiming they are has a long history with them. There's a lot of back and forth between them all.
              Am I missing something? The article mentions that the kernel is used in some Android devices. Isn't that public binary distribution? If you buy a device with that kernel installed the binary has been distributed somehow ....

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                This kinda explains everything:
                Originally posted by https://plus.google.com/115556873499158641618/posts/KwG8uhU5DGk
                Regarding KERNELS: (not avialable to the public)
                Chad is not responsible for unauthorized or "leaked" copies of the kernel. If you obtained this kernel from chad, you will have a written and notorized letter of authorization. This letter explains how to obtain source. If you do not have this letter, you have a LEAKED or UNAUTHORIZED copy, and leaks are not supported by Chad.
                /thread
                From http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq....bilityToPublic
                If I distribute GPL'd software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge? (#DoesTheGPLRequireAvailabilityToPublic)

No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.
                This means, there is no such thing as "LEAKED or UNAUTHORIZED copy"

Does the GPL allow me to distribute copies under a nondisclosure agreement? (#DoesTheGPLAllowNDA)

No. The GPL says that anyone who receives a copy from you has the right to redistribute copies, modified or not. You are not allowed to distribute the work on any more restrictive basis.

Does the GPL allow me to distribute a modified or beta version under a nondisclosure agreement? (#DoesTheGPLAllowModNDA)

No. The GPL says that your modified versions must carry all the freedoms stated in the GPL. Thus, anyone who receives a copy of your version from you has the right to redistribute copies (modified or not) of that version. You may not distribute any version of the work on a more restrictive basis.
                This means, "authorization" is has no legal power, because it is exactly a Non-Disclosure Argreement.

And finally
                If I use a piece of software that has been obtained under the GNU GPL, am I allowed to modify the original code into a new program, then distribute and sell that new program commercially? (#GPLCommercially)

You are allowed to sell copies of the modified program commercially, but only under the terms of the GNU GPL. Thus, for instance, you must make the source code available to the users of the program as described in the GPL, and they must be allowed to redistribute and modify it as described in the GPL.

Thus, if he DISTRIBUTES, he is bound to PROVIDE SOURCE. and he CAN'T impose ANY RESTRICTIONS on this.

Comment

What this guy did wrong - is to distribute a binary with his code, if he wants to charge. This is already breaking freedoms and license.

What he should have done is instead provide patches to test under NDA(to patches), that other developers and companies may evaluate and PAY. Only those who paid, will build, evaluate and use. After he is okay with amount, he may propose them into vanilla.

Or he does patches into vanilla and gets support or enrollment from/into organizations who appreciate what he does.

The second option is much easier for him.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    This means, there is no such thing as "LEAKED or UNAUTHORIZED copy"
                    Well, this does talk about source code, not binaries. So the ones that should provide the source are those that do the distribution.

Comment

Working...
                    X