Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Rebased, Fixed Up For X Server 1.15

Phoronix: XWayland Rebased, Fixed Up For X Server 1.15

Kristian H?gsberg has updated the XWayland code against the latest upstream X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Cannonical take the code that goes into XWayland into their XMir fork?

They said back in October that multi-monitor support was not reliable, so maybe this new patch could help a lot.
    Last edited by newwen; 03 January 2014, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
      Does Cannonical take the code that goes into XWayland into their XMir fork?

They said back in October that multi-monitor support was not realiable, so maybe this patch could help a lot.
      XWayland is rootless. That means that any X window will become a Wayland window for the Wayland compositor.

Up to now, XMir doesn't work like that: there is a root X window (all windows are son of this window, and are drawn onto it), and Mir displays this root window.
      Your X desktop work like that (expect the root window is directly the screen buffer)

Then you can deduce multi-monitor support is quite different for the two models.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
        XWayland is rootless. That means that any X window will become a Wayland window for the Wayland compositor.

Up to now, XMir doesn't work like that: there is a root X window (all windows are son of this window, and are drawn onto it), and Mir displays this root window.
        Your X desktop work like that (expect the root window is directly the screen buffer)

Then you can deduce multi-monitor support is quite different for the two models.
        I didn't knew Canonical did this (and I wonder why, I guess for simplicity). How does the Mir compositor combine the X root window and Mir buffers/windows?

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
          I didn't knew Canonical did this (and I wonder why, I guess for simplicity). How does the Mir compositor combine the X root window and Mir buffers/windows?
          The DDXs are in charge of allocating the buffers for the screen, the pixmaps, etc.
          XMir has patches to the DDXs to use Mir to get the buffers.

Comment

So is Xwayland ready for production? i know Redhat, has some huge patch set's for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
              So is Xwayland ready for production? i know Redhat, has some huge patch set's for it.
              I don't know what patches you have in mind.

I think XWayland would be ready when the remaining input issues are fixed (mouse has issues with games for example), and that the Present extension is supported.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                I don't know what patches you have in mind.

I think XWayland would be ready when the remaining input issues are fixed (mouse has issues with games for example), and that the Present extension is supported.
                Most are for GDM, and, Gnome so i don't think it's a big deal.

Comment

Let's hope XWayland makes it into 1.16 in July. With Gnome 3.12 finishing up their Wayland port in April and NVIDIA maybe having all the EGL stuff ready it would suck to need out-of-tree patches for X.

Comment

Originally posted by middy
                    Be cool if canonical supported wayland instead of forking their own. They could be benefiting the entire Linux community and not just Ubuntu.
                    They did. Then the lingering ghost of Steve Jobs appleized Mark Shuttleworth, and the end result of that was the unrest called Mir.

Comment

Working...
                    X