Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Already Has A Dozen Steam Machine Partners

Phoronix: Valve Already Has A Dozen Steam Machine Partners

Valve has announced their first 12 partners that intend to bring Steam Machines to the marketplace this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mostly meh PC builders but I'd like to see what Gigabyte and Zotac come up with.

Comment

Ironic, that a "Origin PC" builds a Steam Machine :P

Comment

Originally posted by shaurz View Post
        Mostly meh PC builders but I'd like to see what Gigabyte and Zotac come up with.
        Krhm alienware is Dell's subsidiary which produces gaming pcs. And most of the others are gaming pc manufacturers too.

It would be more meh to see some grappy market pc:s like cheap hp:s to sale as "great gaming pc" with oem gtx650 4 gigs gddr3.

Comment

Awesome. Feels like Valve's gaining steady momentum, and I'm interested to see the price points each company is shooting for. I'm sure Alienware will reveal a beast of a machine surely, but I'm hoping they also have something in the "reasonably affordable" range as well.

Comment

The original promise was you could STREAM games from any other client of steam in the household, meaning you could play Windows games streamed to your Steambox in the lounge room. If these boxes are merely PC running Steam, then nothing special.

Also the SteamBox makers need to push the feature of the boxes being media players, so that one can play movies off the samba network or other content sharing protocols.

A SteamBox needs to take over all devices next to your TV to make them viable and for customers to want them.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              The original promise was you could STREAM games from any other client of steam in the household, meaning you could play Windows games streamed to your Steambox in the lounge room. If these boxes are merely PC running Steam, then nothing special.
              So how does it disqualify a machine from streaming that it also can run games native?

Comment

Valve SteamBox (Vanilla) might be sold aswell...

It looks like Valve's not totally ruling out making its own version of the retail Steam Machines that so many other PC manufacturers are making currently. During Valve's press conference this evening at CES 2014, company head Valve Newell said, "We're gonna make that decision as we go along." when asked whether Valve would make its own retail Steam Machine. "We have plans to build more machines as customers ask," he continued. So far, only 300 lucky beta testers have the Valve-made Steam Machine. Newell said that part of Valve's reason for being at CES was to solicit feedback from press and consumers, so it sounds like a Valve-made box might be more than just a dream for now.

Comment

They have "Steam Machine Partners" but they still don't have any software partners. As far as I know not even one of the bigger publishers announced to support Steam Machine or Linux.

I really like what Valve does. Linux ist my only OS. All my machines are running Linux. My workstation, my laptop and even my HTPC. I don't own a single windows machine since many years.

As I can't run many games with my Linux machines, I own a PS3 and I somehow hoped that a "Steam Machine" could get my next console.

But unfortunately I start to doubt that SteamOS will get much support by game publishers.

I'm happy that Valve still continues their effort in SteamOS but maybe this ship has sailed!

Why don't they create their own hardware? Currently anything looks like different publishers create differently looking "gaming PC's" in different price regions with completely different hardware setup. If Valve would have designed their own hardware, then they could, perhaps, offer it in a price level of a PS4 or XBOX ONE system. This would also make it easier for game publishers to support something like a "Steam Machine" as it has a known hardware configuration.

They also refuse to offer a game exclusively for SteamOS, which, in my opinion, is a mistake. This way, in my opinion, only a few Linux enthusiasts will give SteamOS a try. All the other people will dump SteamOS after a short time of try and install Windows on that machine. Maybe the only way to get full support for most upcomping "high grade" titles...

Comment

Working...
                  X