Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Ships An AMD Preview Driver For SteamOS

Phoronix: Valve Ships An AMD Preview Driver For SteamOS

For those AMD Radeon customers disappointed by the buggy and poor performance of the Catalyst Linux graphics driver with Steam games, Valve has released a preview driver via their SteamOS repository. This AMD Catalyst preview driver for Linux hasn't been made available elsewhere...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Come on AMD, put everyone to work on the open source driver, which is way better than your blob. PLEASE!!!!!! NOW!!!!!! Seriously

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      Come on AMD, put everyone to work on the open source driver, which is way better than your blob. PLEASE!!!!!! NOW!!!!!! Seriously
      Even if they did that, the opensource driver would not support OpenGL 4.x with high performance by the time Steam Machines ship.

It's funny how AMD Catalyst was basicly a trainwreck for a decade and now I wouldn't be suprrised if they fix the major problems in no time because they are finally pressured to improve it.

Comment

This AMD Catalyst preview driver for Linux hasn't been made available elsewhere.
        Wonder how long that's going to last.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          I wouldn't be suprrised if they fix the major problems in no time because they are finally pressured to improve it.
          I would - even if they throw 50 people at it working full time (which is probably not going to happen).
          OTOH, I hope you're right...

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            I would - even if they throw 50 people at it working full time (which is probably not going to happen).
            OTOH, I hope you're right...
            It isn't just one group. Getting Mesa to a new GL version requires the collaboration of all the players, from AMD and Intel to Vmware and Red Hat.

Comment

(Edit-time limit)

Do you really think AMD can be pressured improving Catalyst on Linux for gaming?
              To me it boils down that AMD totally doesn't care at all.

"The driver is targeting workstations, the user base is small...".
              You've heard the arguments plenty of times.
              Even if it is Valve, even if the SteamBox sounds big:
              It looks like AMD simply does not care about Catalyst for gaming (on Linux).

Steam on Linux is here for more than one year by now.
              Most likely the hardware partners (AMD, NVidia, intel) knew about it way before.
              AMD did not manage to significantly improve the driver situation during that time.
              What makes you think it might happen now "in no time"?

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              It isn't just one group. Getting Mesa to a new GL version requires the collaboration of all the players, from AMD and Intel to Vmware and Red Hat.
              d2kx and me were talking about Catalyst, weren't we?
              Last edited by entropy; 08 January 2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Support Support Support

I think Catalyst is in so a bad condition that I just hope they fix the kde and flash bugs and forget about the gaming. I will never ever buy a notebook with ati graphics on board since I am just Linux user.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  (Edit-time limit)

Do you really think AMD can be pressured improving Catalyst on Linux for gaming?
                  To me it boils down that AMD totally doesn't care at all.

"The driver is targeting workstations, the user base is small...".
                  You've heard the arguments plenty of times.
                  Even if it is Valve, even if the SteamBox sounds big:
                  It looks like AMD simply does not care about Catalyst for gaming (on Linux).

Steam on Linux is here for more than one year by now.
                  Most likely the hardware partners (AMD, NVidia, intel) knew about it way before.
                  AMD did not manage to significantly improve the driver situation during that time.
                  What makes you think it might happen now "in no time"?

d2kx and me were talking about Catalyst, weren't we?
                  I think the same, and i suppose that one of the main reasons is that they have his graphics card in the PS4 and XBox One. They allready control that market, maybe they undervalue the SteamBox future.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    But they were talking about Catalyst, which has nothing to do with Mesa.
                    I'd rather see the open source drivers improved, even if it takes longer.

Comment

Working...
                    X