Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.14 To Have PRIME Support For NVIDIA Tegra

Phoronix: Linux 3.14 To Have PRIME Support For NVIDIA Tegra

PRIME rendering support is coming to the open-source NVIDIA Tegra graphics driver with the Linux 3.14 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why? Am I missing something, or isn't PRIME supposed to be used for switchable graphics?

Comment

Oh, and

...NVIDIA's new fast and amazing Tegra K1 SoC...
      which is nowhere to be seen and won't be for some time. I understand, this is just out of the need to kiss ass in order to keep receiving shiny new hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
        Why? Am I missing something, or isn't PRIME supposed to be used for switchable graphics?
        It's for sharing buffers between drivers using dma_buf. Prime is just the drm interface for this. It could be between a gpu and a webcam, or two gpus, or a gpu and a usb display adapter, a webcam and a video encoder, etc. Switchable graphics are just one of the use cases.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          which is nowhere to be seen and won't be for some time. I understand, this is just out of the need to kiss ass in order to keep receiving shiny new hardware.
          that makes no sense. then he would also kiss ass AMD to get hardware again. and definitely does not do that...

Comment

Surely the Tegra K1 would be supported by nouveau since it has a Kepler GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              It could be between a gpu and a webcam, or two gpus, or a gpu and a usb display adapter, a webcam and a video encoder, etc. Switchable graphics are just one of the use cases.
              So it's basically Kama Sutra for Linux graphics.

Comment

Working...
              X