Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Working On 16-bit x86 Support For LLVM

Phoronix: Intel Working On 16-bit x86 Support For LLVM

While we have advanced well beyond the Intel 8086 in the processor world, an Intel open-source technology center developer is currently working on 16-bit x86 support for the LLVM compiler infrastructure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find this curious, but am having a hard time figuring out the use cases for this. Can anyone help me out?

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
      I find this curious, but am having a hard time figuring out the use cases for this. Can anyone help me out?
      Wine has alot of 16bit code in it.. because windows has alot of 16bit code in it for legacy reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
        Wine has alot of 16bit code in it.. because windows had alot of 16bit code in it for legacy reasons.

http://wiki.winehq.org/16BitSeparation
        Fixed that for you. Since Windows Vista there is no 16 bit support anymore.

Comment

Compatibility and BIOS Code is in 16Bit. The Boot loader in a MBR is also 8086-compatible 16bit Code

Comment

I was going to make a snarky comment about Z80... But then realized that it has an LLVM backend

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              Compatibility and BIOS Code is in 16Bit. The Boot loader in a MBR is also 8086-compatible 16bit Code
              I thought BIOS was 24bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                I thought BIOS was 24bit?
                The first IBM-PC has a Intel 8088 CPU. It was a 16 Bit CPU and so is the BIOS a 16bit Software and the first Software that is loaded from the HDD is the 16bit Bootloader. With UEFI we have now 64bit/32bit Software.

TrueCrypt for Windows need because of that a very old Microsoft Compiler with 16bit support for build the bootloader.

Comment

Did you even read the article?

Comment

Thank you for the responses, everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X