Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Dev Days Is Off To A Great Start

Phoronix: Steam Dev Days Is Off To A Great Start

Kicked off this morning in Seattle was Valve's first Steam Dev Days conference where they were pushing their Steam Machines and Linux-based SteamOS agenda, OpenGL/Linux gaming, VR, and other hot topics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Saw this thread on one page.

Comment

can't wait to see source 2- imagine if it's Linux only!!!! it would mean that to run lfd3, hl3, tf3, you will be FORCED to install Linux!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
        can't wait to see source 2- imagine if it's Linux only!!!! it would mean that to run lfd3, hl3, tf3, you will be FORCED to install Linux!!!
        Valve has denied earlier that they plan to restrict access of certain games to Linux/SteamOS, BUT they have said at the event that SteamOS/Linux will offer some "experiences" in the future that you won't get on other platforms.

Also, Gabe Newell said he will do a Reddit AMA if people donate 500.000 USD to the charity cause he promotes and supports: http://www.reddit.com/r/motorsports/...eting_in_uscc/

Comment

I just want everyone to take a moment of silence, for the years the name linux has been just outdated desktops and crappy software. For the years that developers only developed and tested code on linux, only to sell it on Windows. It is all coming to an end.

Okay, so, just a quick overview here. The source engine is at least 10 years old.
          2004: Halo 2, BF Vietnam, HL 2, Call of Duty (before the numbering), Star Wars Battlefront, Far Cry, GTA San Andreas

I'm still playing games that are using the Source engine and still having tons of fun. The most important thing for me to notice was all OpenGL. OpenGL games look great, they run great, and run on basically anything. Keep in mind how successful Valve has been in almost everything they've made. The amount of support that's going to be behind Linux, OpenGL, Wayland, AMD+Nivida drivers, Pulseaudio + Gaming Headset drivers... it's going to be ridiculous.

Comment

I'm sure people at EA, Microsoft, Sony, etc. are praying for Valve to do that. It would seriously be the stupidest freaking thing that Valve could possibly do.

Comment

Took me a while, but finding this was worth it

First, confirmed that it will not be locked into linux. Second, that'd be stupid. Third, that defeats the whole, "Linux is choice!" thing going on.
              But, if it was better on Linux...
              Last edited by profoundWHALE; 15 January 2014, 11:51 PM.

Comment

VOGL - this is something to really look forward to.

Comment

According to teh twitters the event is getting high praise from many in attendance. I think Valve won over a bunch of devs.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
                    VOGL - this is something to really look forward to.
                    Sounds almost like vogon, should be cool like vogon poetry.

Comment

Working...
                    X