Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell 3.10 Lands In Ubuntu 14.04

Phoronix: GNOME Shell 3.10 Lands In Ubuntu 14.04

GNOME fans running Ubuntu Linux can rejoice that GNOME Shell 3.10 has made it for the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news. Now, if only Gnome Shell is actually usable under Ubuntu.

Before you say 'apt-get install gnome-shell', I did that with Ubuntu 13.10 and I got it installed but pretty much unusable. Definitely far worse than it was under Ubuntu 13.04. Animations are sluggish, screen doesn't get locked on suspend/resume, Steam's UI doesn't display with DRI_PRIME, keyboard locale cannot be changed from lock screen, nor from access elevation dialog! Now I switched to Fedora 20 and wow, what a relieve.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
      Great news. Now, if only Gnome Shell is actually usable under Ubuntu.

Before you say 'apt-get install gnome-shell', I did that with Ubuntu 13.10 and I got it installed but pretty much unusable. Definitely far worse than it was under Ubuntu 13.04. Animations are sluggish, screen doesn't get locked on suspend/resume, Steam's UI doesn't display with DRI_PRIME, keyboard locale cannot be changed from lock screen, nor from access elevation dialog! Now I switched to Fedora 20 and wow, what a relieve.
      The biggest problem that you've had, and it's only newbies or persons with little experience so it's alright, is that you opted to install Gnome over Ubuntu Unity.
      Things will break this way, you need to either install Gnome from a MINIMAL (i.e. text only) Ubuntu install or just use the already well tested Ubuntu Gnome respin. Personally, I've found the experience to be much better than Fedora since they leave more legacy options around, rather than stripping them out and forcing the user to adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
        The biggest problem that you've had, and it's only newbies or persons with little experience so it's alright, is that you opted to install Gnome over Ubuntu Unity.
        Things will break this way, you need to either install Gnome from a MINIMAL (i.e. text only) Ubuntu install or just use the already well tested Ubuntu Gnome respin. Personally, I've found the experience to be much better than Fedora since they leave more legacy options around, rather than stripping them out and forcing the user to adapt.
        Can you be more specific? What legacy option do they leave around in GNOME exactly that Fedora doesn't have?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          Can you be more specific? What legacy option do they leave around in GNOME exactly that Fedora doesn't have?
          It's not related to Gnome, it's more that Ubuntu offers more legacy options than Fedora does, such as installing GRUB in custom, non-MBR locations.

Comment

It's not related to Gnome, it's more that Ubuntu offers more legacy options than Fedora does, such as installing GRUB in custom, non-MBR locations.
            So, another offtopic conversation? Anyway, you are incorrect about this as well. It is very much possible to install GRUB2 into non MBR locations in Fedora as well. You will have to use the force option because upstream doesn't support the configuration anymore. This is NOT a distribution specific change.

Comment

I also tried Ubuntu Gnome respin and it also suffered from the same bad performance (sluggish animations). I can't remember if those other bugs were also present as I didn't use it much but the sluggish animations was enough reason for me to switch to Fedora which gives me silky smooth animations.

Comment

Busted

Comment

So, another offtopic conversation? Anyway, you are incorrect about this as well. It is very much possible to install GRUB2 into non MBR locations in Fedora as well. You will have to use the force option because upstream doesn't support the configuration anymore. This is NOT a distribution specific change.
                  It's not offered as an option in the Fedora Installer, it is however offered as an option in several other distributions such as Ubuntu.
                  The Ubuntu installer offers a legacy feature that isn't offered by the Fedora installer, why can't you accept this simple fact?

Comment

It's not offered as an option in the Fedora Installer, it is however offered as an option in several other distributions such as Ubuntu.
                    The Ubuntu installer offers a legacy feature that isn't offered by the Fedora installer, why can't you accept this simple fact?
                    It is offered with the installer if you use kickstart and you can run it as a shell command during the installation itself. Those are the facts.

Comment

Working...
                    X