Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-ati 7.3.0 Radeon X.Org Driver Released

Phoronix: xf86-video-ati 7.3.0 Radeon X.Org Driver Released

Alex Deucher announced a new xf86-video-ati DDX release this morning for the Radeon X.Org driver support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So now 5 and a half months is "quite some time" between releases?

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
      A half year for the Radeon driver? Yes. Especially as this has the necessary PCI IDs and such for hardware already shipping and exposed to users (Hawaii + fixed SUMO IDs), etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Compared to the intel driver which can sometimes see multiple releases in a single week? Yeah, its a long time
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I didn't realize a 6 month release cycle was out of line anymore.

Comment

It just depends on what it is, frankly (to me) the intel driver is the perfect example of release-early-release-often. Bug fixes and performance fixes get out to the users as fast as possible (limited only by the distribution) and there's no issue of picking a random spot in git and trying to MAKE it stable, you just pick a release and you know what the problems are from the future releases changelogs

Comment

In the linux world, a project that hasn't had a release in a year can be considered dead. That being said, aside from distros, a half year is a pretty long wait for something that has dedicated developers.

I can't complain, I really appreciate what AMD is doing for their open source drivers. Assuming this driver doesn't come with OpenGL 3.3, lets hope the next release will have it, as well as come quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                It just depends on what it is, frankly (to me) the intel driver is the perfect example of release-early-release-often. Bug fixes and performance fixes get out to the users as fast as possible (limited only by the distribution) and there's no issue of picking a random spot in git and trying to MAKE it stable, you just pick a release and you know what the problems are from the future releases changelogs
                Excluding the tearing that is broken for over a year, I presume?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                  Excluding the tearing that is broken for over a year, I presume?
                  I'm assuming you're referring to the tearing that occurs with Sandy Bridge and newer? The reason for DRI3? Hardware regression. Previous Intel GPU's had a small hardware node that went under the name TearFree Mode, Sandy Bridge + removed said hardware capability, nothing the driver can do about that.

Comment

radeon: enable tiling on SI by default (v2)

Wow, that wasn't enabled?

What was that with PRIME again? Tiling doesn't work with it (yet), do I remember this right?

Comment

Working...
                    X