Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Brings OpenACC 1.0+ Support To GCC Fortran

Phoronix: Samsung Brings OpenACC 1.0+ Support To GCC Fortran

Samsung is still working towards bringing OpenACC support to GCC. We've seen Samsung developers working on OpenACC for GCC over the past several months -- along with other OpenACC initiatives out of CodeSourcery, etc -- and now there's some new OpenACC GCC Fortran patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Serious Question... How much new software is written in fortran nowadays? My understanding is that it is used quite a bit in scientific computing but that part of that was due to the preexisting body of fortran work. So is it still popular as a language to write new stuff in for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Serious Question... How much new software is written in fortran nowadays? My understanding is that it is used quite a bit in scientific computing but that part of that was due to the preexisting body of fortran work. So is it still popular as a language to write new stuff in for them?
      Yes it is. However there are other languages and tools at play here including R, SciPy and NumPy and even Julia as of late.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Still quite popular, often because the people who write the software are physicists and chemists don't know anything else, and partially because there are a lot of good tools and libraries out there for it. There's also the advantage that it is as fast (sometimes faster) than C for number crunching code, yet it is not as low level and error prone.

Comment

Working...
        X