Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Music Entering Beta On SteamOS

Phoronix: Steam Music Entering Beta On SteamOS

Valve's latest addition to SteamOS -- their Linux-based gaming OS -- is Steam Music, a nice way to play audio in the background while running any Steam games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Desktop users probably won't care about this, but I guess this is pretty nice for SteamOS/Steam Machine users. One of the biggest gripes I hear with the Xbox One and PS4 is the lack of ability to play local media (that the previous generation had). Valve would be smart to make it as easy as possible to play any local media you have, and it looks like they're starting to do just that.

Comment

Hans Zimmer

Now all it needs is some music from Hans Zimmer!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Now all it needs is some music from Hans Zimmer!
        Like Time, Do You Think I'm Saxon and there is one that skips from my mind from movie The Thin Red Line

Love those musics....

....but we can also had some Rammstein to the Mix like Sonne, Ich Will and Reise Reise !

I can't wait to be playing some FPS and crushing my enemies with those musics in the background ! It will be EPIC, i tell you !!!

Comment

I think what Valve needs to do is to convert their client into a desktop environment so people can build their own apps that run inside the client itself. That will make them beat the consoles featurewise in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
            Desktop users probably won't care about this, but I guess this is pretty nice for SteamOS/Steam Machine users. One of the biggest gripes I hear with the Xbox One and PS4 is the lack of ability to play local media (that the previous generation had). Valve would be smart to make it as easy as possible to play any local media you have, and it looks like they're starting to do just that.
            I'm a desktop user and I do. A lot of games run in fullscreen and can't easily be interrupted with Alt-Tab. If I want to skip a track in my playlist, I have to leave the game, change the track and then go back to the game. This is especially impractical in games that are multiplayer or where you have to jog around for 10 minutes to get to your last position like Starbound. And yes, you want to play your own soundtrack sometimes (e.g. if you play a game long enough, you get sick of the stock music and some game soundtracks just don't match your taste).

With a player control in the steam overlay window for music this problem goes away. I think this is a great addition.

Comment

Originally posted by skriticos View Post
              I'm a desktop user and I do. A lot of games run in fullscreen and can't easily be interrupted with Alt-Tab. If I want to skip a track in my playlist, I have to leave the game, change the track and then go back to the game. This is especially impractical in games that are multiplayer or where you have to jog around for 10 minutes to get to your last position like Starbound. And yes, you want to play your own soundtrack sometimes (e.g. if you play a game long enough, you get sick of the stock music and some game soundtracks just don't match your taste).

With a player control in the steam overlay window for music this problem goes away. I think this is a great addition.
              Trying to think of a game I've played via Steam which didn't play well with being Alt+Tabbed out of if by at least via the Steam Overlay.

At least with games that support custom resolutions I can run the game in a "maximized" window.

Comment

Working...
              X