Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD R600 Gallium3D Driver Lands OpenGL 3.3 In Mesa

Phoronix: AMD R600 Gallium3D Driver Lands OpenGL 3.3 In Mesa

After previously talking about the patches, as of this evening the OpenGL 3.3 support has officially arrived within Mesa for the AMD R600 Gallium3D driver with the Radeon HD 2000 series and newer GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

thank you devs

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
      At least now for the next Mesa release ahead (likely to be called Mesa 10.1) we now have OpenGL 3.3 support in good standing across all the open-source desktop GL drivers.
      I think Mesa 10.1 was actually branched off last week, so this won't be included until 10.2 unless someone ports it over. It's supposed to be in feature freeze, but they probably wouldn't care if a driver ported over code just inside that driver, since it doesn't affect the rest of mesa.

Originally posted by phoronix
      Do you think OpenGL 4.0 support will be accomplished this year across Intel / Radeon / Nouveau drivers on Linux?
      No. Intel will probably get 4.0-4.2 all at once early in 2015. The other drivers may be 6 months behind.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 05 February 2014, 01:30 AM.

Comment

I think they can hit 4.0 in 2014, at least for intel and radeonsi. It would be nice if they got a page giving rough timetable for OpenGL 4.x work, sort of like this one did for OpenGL 3.x : http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/MissingFunctionality/

Comment

I love the progress these drivers are getting. I hope it's exponentially faster at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            No. Intel will probably get 4.0-4.2 all at once early in 2015. The other drivers may be 6 months behind.
            This will be an uninformed and unfounded guess (I tell you so nobody gets their hopes up or expect evidence because of it), but I think Intel will get 4.0 around October. It just sounds like that to me. I'd bet a beer, but I don't know anyone living near me and I don't expect traveling :P

Comment

Woohoo! Now.... what can use OGL 3.3?
              The only real game I play is Kerbal Space Program, which uses Unity3D, and some Googling says that only uses OpenGL 2.1!

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if OpenGL 4.5 will come out this year and will and to the pile of work needed to be done in Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                  I wouldn't be surprised if OpenGL 4.5 will come out this year and will and to the pile of work needed to be done in Mesa.
                  Thanks to Valve, AMD and Intel have all the more reason to get their act together regarding their open source Linux drivers. I am of the opinion that it isn't as much of an issue.

Comment

kernel patch

Just saw Dave Airlie's repo last night and knew it wouldn't be long til they hit mesa master All the devs have done some pretty amazing work!

I seem to remember there being a need for a patch on the kernel side for us though - http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg52745.html

Unfortunately, this patch isn't present in kernel 3.14-rc1. Is it due to be merged into 3.14-rc2 for early next week?

Comment

Working...
                    X