Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU Offloading Support In Wayland Moves Along

Phoronix: GPU Offloading Support In Wayland Moves Along

Support for GPU offloading is making good progress in Wayland and building upon offloading improvements originally worked on for X.Org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Right now GPU offloading can work with Wayland but there's no screen synchronization and thus tearing can happen, but that will ultimately be corrected.
    That's exactly the opposite. Could you add a note for that in the article, please?

GPU offloading with X DRI2 has no screen synchronization, and then has tearings.
    But with Wayland there is screen synchronization, and no tearings.
    However glitches (showing incompletely rendered frame) can happen if you don't add a delay between the rendering and the presentation.
    To remove these glitches, you need either to add a delay (an embedded compositor adds one) or wait the dma-buf fences kernel feature (which I hope will come soon).

Comment

Even if X synchronized the rendering with the screen, there would be tearings, due to the lack of dma-buf fences (which prevent one device to read when the other one is writing).

Due to the different mechanism between X and Wayland, the lack of dma-buf fences becomes glitches for Wayland.

That's explained in the presentation, and that's the reason too that Wayland Gpu offloading support work is on hold until dma-buf fences comes.

Comment

1) Ultimately will it work with my Thinkpad T420 Intel + binary NVIDIA? Does it work while having displays on two separate GPUs?
        2) Is there a link to video of the presentation?

Comment

Originally posted by RushPL View Post
          1) Ultimately will it work with my Thinkpad T420 Intel + binary NVIDIA? Does it work while having displays on two separate GPUs?
          2) Is there a link to video of the presentation?
          1) binary NVidia doesn't work yet on Wayland.
          2) Video is not yet published

Comment

What is taking fences so long?

I could've sworn Maarten was ready to have it merged months ago...

Comment

Working...
            X