Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromium Browser Is Running Great On Wayland

Phoronix: Chromium Browser Is Running Great On Wayland

For several months now Intel developers have been working on a new Ozone-Wayland project that allows Google's Chrome/Chromium browsers and other applications to work on Wayland. Google's Ozone component provides the windowing system / input abstraction layer that is where this implementation for Wayland is being plugged into. After much investment, the Chromium browser is now starting to run great with Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder:
    - Isn't the Chromium window lacking borders? Or it is just my memory failing/an interface change? I haven't used Chromium in more than a year, so maybe I just forgot how it looked (also, I usually maximize my browser), but I believe I remember it having thicker borders.
    - Why is it running without the sandbox?

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
      I wonder:
      - Isn't the Chromium window lacking borders? Or it is just my memory failing/an interface change? I haven't used Chromium in more than a year, so maybe I just forgot how it looked (also, I usually maximize my browser), but I believe I remember it having thicker borders.
      - Why is it running without the sandbox?
      I've noticed that too. In ubuntu (X.org) it is using window borders, but under wayland they're using client side decorations with no borders, which looks much better in my opinion.

Comment

I hope this will finally allow for per pixel scrolling like Windows and Mac.

Comment

Why is Intel doing this, what's in it for them? It's great and all, but I'm just wondering.

Also, is there any advantages to ChromeOS with this? Does Wayland use more or fewer resources to draw to the screen than whatever ChromeOS currently uses?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            Why is Intel doing this, what's in it for them? It's great and all, but I'm just wondering.

Also, is there any advantages to ChromeOS with this? Does Wayland use more or fewer resources to draw to the screen than whatever ChromeOS currently uses?
            I believe Google may be using X as the ChromeOS display server today and Intel already has a vested interest in Wayland replacing X (they pay many of the developers). It would be good for them to get some large players in the industry to switch to Wayland.

May the more important fact is that the web browser is arguably one of the most important on a machine today. Firefox has yet to finish their port to GTK3 to allow them to run natively on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
              I hope this will finally allow for per pixel scrolling like Windows and Mac.
              Why would they need Wayland for per-pixel scrolling? Firefox seems to be doing it on xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                Why would they need Wayland for per-pixel scrolling? Firefox seems to be doing it on xorg.
                AFAIK firefox does not do per-pixel scrolling in Linux. Firefox only gets scroll wheel events which by default scrolls 3 lines per increment. Firefox does use an animation to smooth the transition of 3 lines but its not nearly as nice as per-pixel scrolling. Wayland is not required for per-pixel scrolling but the older toolkits like GTK2 do not support it. I'm hoping the clean slate of Wayland + Aura would get per pixel scrolling in Chromium.

Comment

Performance

But Wayland have less performance than X.org Server, right?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    But Wayland have less performance than X.org Server, right?
                    X.org has been around since the late 70s, it's fairly mature software. Wayland is up-and-coming. Stop trolling idiot.

Comment

Working...
                    X