Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Publishes A New Open-Source Nouveau Driver Patch

Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes A New Open-Source Nouveau Driver Patch

A short time ago NVIDIA made the bold move of working on open-source Tegra K1 graphics support for Nouveau, the reverse-engineered open-source NVIDIA driver they previously took a neutral approach to handling. The Tegra K1 Nouveau support is still being worked on but there's a fresh patch out of NVIDIA for the open-source developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome

Finally Nvidia is actually showing some real support for nouveau. I hope this'll help the free drivers catch up to the proprietary ones.

Comment

Originally posted by porken View Post
      Finally Nvidia is actually showing some real support for nouveau. I hope this'll help the free drivers catch up to the proprietary ones.
      Doubt it. NVIDIAs interest is to enable out of the box support for their stuff and since distros don't ship the blobs they help nouveau. Often you can't even get as far as installing the blob, because nouveau doesn't work with your card and you can't get to live CD desktop. With my other PC I basically have to use nomodeset everytime I boot some Live Distro.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Doubt it. NVIDIAs interest is to enable out of the box support for their stuff and since distros don't ship the blobs they help nouveau. Often you can't even get as far as installing the blob, because nouveau doesn't work with your card and you can't get to live CD desktop. With my other PC I basically have to use nomodeset everytime I boot some Live Distro.
        Well that should be good enough for light desktop usage and would be a much welcome help.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          If nvidia can shut up the naysayers and actually provide some docs for things that Nouveau is currently missing, such as reclocking and power management then Nouveau can get at least on a par with the blob.

Comment

Originally posted by porken View Post
            I think this is the same patch as before, just with some more bug fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              If nvidia can shut up the naysayers and actually provide some docs for things that Nouveau is currently missing, such as reclocking and power management then Nouveau can get at least on a par with the blob.
              There are NO naysayers here.

Nvidia did NOT produced any meaningful code as of yet, nor any vital docs. PERIOD.

You on the other hand look to bright future (in Your opinion) and demand that everybody meet PRESENT day with such enthusiasm.

Let Nvidia work for a while. Let them produce code that enable GPU startup, maybe some 2D or video decode/encode or VDPAU work.
              After that call people naysayers. :P

PS Nope. Nouveau can not hope to meet green blob in terms of performance even with identical PM/OC/UV as with blob. Last few x0% are gained by tuning memory transfers, glsl compiler, etc. r600g is nice example of that. Such tuning take time, and is basically infinite task. Though I do not know if Nouveau do not have already some good way to check how much of internal RAM is occupied. (r600g do not have such means beyond estimates)

Comment

do you understand that this shit is only for tegra and only for kernel bits, while majority of driver lies in userspace ? and they explicitly said they have no plans to work on userspace or on desktop chips.
                all nvidia fanbois should return from land of unicorns and rainbows and buy amd hardware, where open driver already surpassed blob on some metrics.

Comment

Rofl @ the people delusional enough to belief Nvidia would actually commit to open source

Comment

They can shut everyone up by taking their heads out of their asses and dropping docs and code on the level that Intel and AMD do.

Until that day though what little they've done and continue to do is no more then a pittance for PR purposes and nothing more.

Comment

Working...
                    X