Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes New Code For Open-Source VCE Video Encode

Phoronix: AMD Publishes New Code For Open-Source VCE Video Encode

AMD has published a second version of their open-source Linux driver code for exposing the "VCE" video engine on modern Radeon GPUs under Linux via OpenMAX for accelerated H.264 video encoding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this more likely to be supported by HandBrake than Intel Quick Sync?

Comment

Originally posted by pumahove View Post
      VCE at least uses a standard API, so I'd say yes. It's not a proprietary single-vendor interface like VA-API, so a backend would possibly work on more hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by pumahove View Post
        I don't have Intel Hardware with that very feature, however, from what I'm reading the Intel HW encoding stuff should be supported via vaapi which in turn is supported e.g. via gstreamer. OpenMAX, which is the encoding interface of choice for the radeon driver, is supported via gstreamer, too.

The following page lists gstreamer as dependency,

however only for the GUI. The encoding seems to be done via the corresponding software libraries directly. Thus, there will be no radeon hw encoding support for handbrake in near future.

Maybe you could try this one, http://www.transcoder.org/ -- it uses gstreamer for the encoding stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          I don't have Intel Hardware with that very feature, however, from what I'm reading the Intel HW encoding stuff should be supported via vaapi which in turn is supported e.g. via gstreamer. OpenMAX, which is the encoding interface of choice for the radeon driver, is supported via gstreamer, too.

however only for the GUI. The encoding seems to be done via the corresponding software libraries directly. Thus, there will be no radeon hw encoding support for handbrake in near future.

Maybe you could try this one, http://www.transcoder.org/ -- it uses gstreamer for the encoding stuff.
          Considering Handbrake's Gstreamer libs are old I'd imagine they'd have to do some updating and that is what happens with software.

Comment

Deciding?

I've seen a lot of news recently about VCE, but what is the current state of play for hardware offloaded decoding ? Under Debian, I understand the necessary mesa libs still have a ways to go for even basic VDPAU integration.

Is that right? Does anyone have any up to date information on open source h265 decoding in hardware?

Thanks,
            Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              Considering Handbrake's Gstreamer libs are old I'd imagine they'd have to do some updating and that is what happens with software.
              Sure. But they'd have to update it in a way, that they use gstreamer also for encoding, not only for decoding.

Comment

Originally posted by griffous View Post
                hardware offloaded decoding ?
                It works fine with DRi_PRIME

Comment

Originally posted by griffous View Post
                  I've seen a lot of news recently about VCE, but what is the current state of play for hardware offloaded decoding ? Under Debian, I understand the necessary mesa libs still have a ways to go for even basic VDPAU integration.
                  Decoding using VDPAU for UVD works fine. You'll need a relatively recent version of mesa. 10.0.x or 10.1.x should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Thank you. I'll check out that Arista transcoder. I hope it supports extracting the subtitles from DVDs and Blu-rays and either including them as subtitle tracks or burned in. I'm looking for an all in one type software.

Any rumors of AMD making patches for HandBrake though? I remember reading some years ago where they helped with OpenCL patches.

Comment

Working...
                    X