Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Bay Trail NUC Linux Performance Preview

Phoronix: Intel Bay Trail NUC Linux Performance Preview

Last week on Phoronix I shared my initial impressions of the Intel "Bay Trail" NUC Kit when running Ubuntu Linux. I've been impressed by the size, features, and price of this barebones Intel system sporting a low-power SoC with built-in HD Graphics capabilities that work well under Linux. Here's some early CPU benchmarks for those trying to gauge the Intel Celeron N2820 performance under Ubuntu.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The pictures in this article do not render correctly with Chrome (v32). They get moved almost off the right side of the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilliams View Post
      The pictures in this article do not render correctly with Chrome (v32). They get moved almost off the right side of the screen.
      Yep, same thing here on Chrome. Firefox works.

The issue is actually the big svg platform comparison table on the first page. It's about 2500px wide and doesn't have any scrolling applied like it should, so it makes the whole page that wide, and the images are just centered on the wide page rather than the central pane like they should be.

Comment

shame you didn't try meaningful benchmarks like extracting a 4.37gb .mkv file from rar files, encoding a video using x264 video codec etc.

Comment

Thanks for removing some of the unnecessary capitalization on the new design. Its still left on some places though.

What do you mean 7.5 Watt TDP or 4.5 Watt?
          Which is it?

Also is it for the CPU or SoC only, or the whole system?

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
            shame you didn't try meaningful benchmarks like extracting a 4.37gb .mkv file from rar files
            How is that useful? Videos don't compress, the rar files will be *bigger* than the mkv.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              How is that useful? Videos don't compress, the rar files will be *bigger* than the mkv.
              I think he's more referring to his own work-load consisting of downloading a torrent/newsgroup and extracting each seperate .rar to the .mkv.

Some torrents come with like ~40 archives that should be combined and produce a single file. Haven't seen those in years though since I stopped pirating software.

Comment

gaming benchmarks

I would like to know gaming benchmarks

Perhaps 1080p is not the resolution to play,BUT ...

720p and even 480p - DVD quality - gaming at CHEAP machines can achieve the same FPS than at 1080p at EXPENSIVE machines

The more expensive machines for gaming are not 4 times faster,sometimes not twice as fast as this CHEAP ones.

And as a benchmark addict I would like to know if this Intel NUC or the AMD SoC ones at 480p can - or not - beat at HARD GAMING iIntel 7 + Nvidia GTX 780 Ti or AMD 2x R9 290x at 1080p and of course if they can RUN at 480p all, almost any game or only a few from the Steam catalog

It would be nice to see future SteamOSbooks CHEAP portable gaming consoles that will play at 480p or even at 360p the harder games and at 720p or even 1080p the softer games

Ps:I think this SteamOSbooks with 64bit SteamOS 4 to 8 GB of RAM and HDDs but same SoC Chromebook price would be Amazon best sellers even more than Chromebooks

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                  shame you didn't try meaningful benchmarks like extracting a 4.37gb .mkv file from rar files, encoding a video using x264 video codec etc.
                  +1

And Z530 it's a single core :

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                    I think he's more referring to his own work-load consisting of downloading a torrent/newsgroup and extracting each seperate .rar to the .mkv.

Some torrents come with like ~40 archives that should be combined and produce a single file. Haven't seen those in years though since I stopped pirating software.
                    I regularly torrent things, and haven't seen that in years. Bittorrent has block checksums, which does the same thing as rar splitting, so perhaps nntp is the only source nowadays. The old p2p networks have died really.

Comment

Working...
                    X