Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce4's Panel Gets A New Development Release

Phoronix: Xfce4's Panel Gets A New Development Release

Version 4.11 is the latest development release of the xfce4-panel for the alternative lightweight Linux desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds good.
    I run XFCE4 on my AMD Geode LX800 that I use at work. Typing and playing music from time to time but fairly good for that purpose.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

We use Debian with Xfce 4 in our offices, all with free and open source software to do the paperwork and it is working out really well. I also use Xfce 4 at home on my personal computer and I have no complaints, for me it is simply "the right" DE by far.

I can only say good things about the Xfce project and I hope it will stay that way forever .

Comment

Yep, I’m very fond of Xfce too. Using it on Arch Linux and with Xubuntu 12.04 too. It’s easy to understand and use, and configurable (and stable!).

I’m not sure why they have two different clock plugins. I’ve been using the Orage clock for a while because it is more configurable than the other one, and clicking on it already pops up a calendar (with tasks and stuff).

Comment

Actually XFCE is currently the only decent Desktop Environment left for been productive and doing real work on your computer. LXDE lacks lots of features, KDE too bloated, GNOME oversimplified

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
            Yep, I?m very fond of Xfce too. Using it on Arch Linux and with Xubuntu 12.04 too. It?s easy to understand and use, and configurable (and stable!).

I?m not sure why they have two different clock plugins. I?ve been using the Orage clock for a while because it is more configurable than the other one, and clicking on it already pops up a calendar (with tasks and stuff).
            Orage should be the default in my opinion; it is beyond me why they selected the other one as the default.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              Orage should be the default in my opinion; it is beyond me why they selected the other one as the default.
              maybe cause it is more lightweight

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                Actually XFCE is currently the only decent Desktop Environment left for been productive and doing real work on your computer. LXDE lacks lots of features, KDE too bloated, GNOME oversimplified
                I agree completely. I like my DE to stay out of my way and be as simple as possible. The old Windows 95/98 DEs were the last good DEs that Microsoft produced before caving in to Modern junk that's all in your face. Thank goodness we have OS's like Linux that give us a choice in the matter. Freedom to choose how I use my computer is why I switched Oct 2012 from Windows completely to Linux. Best decision I ever made relating to Computers.

Comment

I use Xfce a lot (I also sometimes use Fluxbox, IceWM, Openbox, and LXDE). I like it quite well generally. My biggest problem with it right now is that the built-in compositing doesn't work very well. It causes tearing when watching videos if it is turned on. The solution is to leave it off and use something else if you want compositing. (Firefox doesn't scroll smoothly without compositing, for example, causing an effect similar to tearing, though much less obtrusive than tearing in full motion video.)

Comment

Originally posted by CFWhitman View Post
                    My biggest problem with it right now is that the built-in compositing doesn't work very well. It causes tearing when watching videos if it is turned on. The solution is to leave it off and use something else if you want compositing.
                    You?re right; I use compton.

Comment

Working...
                    X