Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailfish OS 1.0 Announced, Sailfish Soon On Android

Phoronix: Sailfish OS 1.0 Released, Sailfish Soon On Android

The Finnish-based Jolla has announced Sailfish OS 1.0 in time for Mobile World Congress and have also committed to soon delivering this mobile Linux OS to Android devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Error in title

Sailfish OS "1.0" will be released at the start of March.

Comment

Among the hardware noted were the Google Nexus, Samsung Galaxy, and Sony Xperia.
      Interesting, but only Xperia models released by Sony, not Sony Ericsson (like Xperia Pro)?

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
        Just... meh. If I wanted an OS with some parts open and lots of parts closed I would just stick to Android.

We already have to have to put up with closed drivers, now people are trying to just get the kernell and the toolkits and then close almost everything else? Of course one could argue that since Steam and all its games are closed source Valve is basically the same, but the thing is Valve is doing historical stuff for Linux. What's the value in Sailfish? Just "more competition", "choice", and whatever. Bleh.
        They might open more in the future. Ie. the browser was open sourced recently.

Comment

Still, personally I wouldn't invest in a platform just based on hope that they might start opening things up in the future. I'd just get a Firefox OS or Ubuntu phone already. I mean, every other mobile Linux OS seems to have some interesting appeal, but Sailfish is just being sold as the sucessor to MeeGo, and that just doesn't feel enough to gain traction.
          A nice gesture based OS is the appeal to it. In some stuff it's not there yet. (localization, app ecosystem, bugs here and there, some features missing) But things are getting better with each -monthly- update. Another thing that should appeal to you is that is as damn as close to a modern Linux desktop. Systemd (+systemd-user), wayland etc.

Comment

Well, I'd argue it's just as distant from an actual Linux desktop. I think it's the use of open source components which makes something closer to Linux distros, not merely the use of kernels, init systems and compositor protocols alone. It's actually quite the opposite: platforms based on proprietary software running on top of an open core are, as a matter of fact, a very troublesome tendency in Linux development. And from the looks of it it's not just me who thinks this way.
            Companies tend to be more focused on developing something for the consumer than the FOSS community. Ie. see all the Bullish project that you can't get things done with them. Hence i don't mind closed software that works on top of open cores. They have to make money after all. Also AFAIK they contribute back to some projects. And i am also OK withe people wanting everything open but jolla at this moment is not a phone for them. It might be in the future. And i hope the same.

Comment

Jolla contributes back a lot to the Mer/Nemo project which is fully opensource. It's not fair to compare it to Android. Google took Linux and made a lot of modifications which after years started to arrive back in upstream, Jolla is instead actively working on the open source stack. Go look at the projects in https://github.com/nemomobile, for instance. You'll see much of that work is done by Jolla employees.

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
                Jolla contributes back a lot to the Mer/Nemo project which is fully opensource. It's not fair to compare it to Android. Google took Linux and made a lot of modifications which after years started to arrive back in upstream, Jolla is instead actively working on the open source stack. Go look at the projects in https://github.com/nemomobile, for instance. You'll see much of that work is done by Jolla employees.
                Google also contributes back to Linux, by the way.

Anyway - I'm not hating what Jolla has been doing, I'm just really sad. I'm sad that these brilliant people that have been working on this open source operating system/ecosystem for so many years, still seem to be missing the point, I mean, the essence, the most important 'thing' about open source software. That is, collaboration between the individuals (and companies) all over the world, who strive to make a better operating system. Jolla's operating system should have been open source since day one, and it should have been available for people to download, use and develop for ages, way before knowing what a future phone might look like. It should have been on everyone's desks on their android phones and development boards and other crazy devices for all these years(!), and when they finally were to make their first phone available, the operating system would have been in a brilliant shape and had a vibrant ecosystem.

And the phone would immediately sell like hotcakes for being the first 'official' sailfish phone to hit the market, where open source developers would get to see the fruits of their labor.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                  Google also contributes back to Linux, by the way.

Anyway - I'm not hating what Jolla has been doing, I'm just really sad. I'm sad that these brilliant people that have been working on this open source operating system/ecosystem for so many years, still seem to be missing the point, I mean, the essence, the most important 'thing' about open source software. That is, collaboration between the individuals (and companies) all over the world, who strive to make a better operating system. Jolla's operating system should have been open source since day one, and it should have been available for people to download, use and develop for ages, way before knowing what a future phone might look like. It should have been on everyone's desks on their android phones and development boards and other crazy devices for all these years(!), and when they finally were to make their first phone available, the operating system would have been in a brilliant shape and had a vibrant ecosystem.

And the phone would immediately sell like hotcakes for being the first 'official' sailfish phone to hit the market, where open source developers would get to see the fruits of their labor.
                  I doubt they have/had the capacity for something like what you describe.

Comment

Still, personally I wouldn't invest in a platform just based on hope that they might start opening things up in the future. I'd just get a Firefox OS or Ubuntu phone already. I mean, every other mobile Linux OS seems to have some interesting appeal, but Sailfish is just being sold as the sucessor to MeeGo, and that just doesn't feel enough to gain traction.
                    Sailfish isn't Maemo/doesn't use Hildon UI and matchbox or similar, so I am not very interested in it (and I don't approve of the hardware). However, I will certainly take it any day over Ubuntu (I have no respect for or trust in Canonical) or Firefox (I do not think HTML/JS is a worthwhile phone platform).

Comment

Working...
                    X