Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment's Evas Gains A DRM Display Engine

Phoronix: Enlightenment's Evas Gains A DRM Display Engine

The Enlightenment Foundation Libraries' Evas canvas library now has a DRM engine for interfacing directly with the Linux kernel's Direct Rendering Manager drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

does it means that this is some kind of "alternative" like mir?

Comment

No, this is for Tizen.

Comment

This makes a Wayland compositor look like the bloated middleman...

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
          does it means that this is some kind of "alternative" like mir?
          Correct me if I'm wrong because I could be wrong, butI think the Enlightenment compositor use EFL,and this might be what it will use to run as a standalone Wayland compositor on hardware supported by DRM/KMS drivers.,

otherwise it can use the FB backend in EFL on hardware that isn't supported. (virtualbox...)

Comment

Despite being a "smaller" DE in terms of developers, users, etc... it seems like Enlightenment consistently has the best/fastest updates. At this point, I may switch to it simply because I'm so in awe of the developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
              This makes a Wayland compositor look like the bloated middleman...
              Uhh... good luck running only one application at a time I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                Despite being a "smaller" DE in terms of developers, users, etc... it seems like Enlightenment consistently has the best/fastest updates. At this point, I may switch to it simply because I'm so in awe of the developers.
                There are things that are a bit hairy in some areas -more importantly the File manager- but in general you can use it everyday without a problem. And you get an awesome Terminal if you are into the command line thing.

Comment

Tizen is confuse.. Samsung is investing in EFL while Intel in investing in GTK... I have already see and Tizen with Gnome3 stuff

Comment

Evas Drm Engine

Coming from the person (me) who Actually wrote this code.....

This is NOT just for Tizen !! This is for Desktop Linux also

This is just an initial step in getting Enlightenment to work Wayland-Only. A drm engine allows us to render Evas canvas' without X11 (you can test this with Expedite, just build EFL & Expedite using --enable-drm), then switch to a different VT and run: expedite -e drm (and any other options you want).

While I do appreciate the Press, once again Phoronix is not accurate

The commits today were just for a Software Rendered Drm engine.

The hardware acceleration support mentioned in the article is just preliminary code. There is no actual hardware rendering in any of the commits today. That will come soon (already have code for it, needs tweaking/fixing/merging). The hardware plane support mentioned is just initial code to allow plane detection and formats of those planes. When the hardware accelerated part of this gets flushed out, Then planes will be usable.

At any rate, this is an initial step in getting Wayland-Only Enlightenment working. With this, I Could now (in theory) run E without X11...but that requires just a bit more code to do (ecore_evas drm support, etc which is coming soon)

Hope this clears up some confusion. Any problems, questions, etc, etc please feel free to get in touch

Comment

Working...
                    X