Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Gets A Stable Release Repository, Backports

Phoronix: Systemd Gets A Stable Release Repository, Backports

Motivated in part by Debian switching to systemd and then Ubuntu switching to systemd, the systemd developers have now setup a stable repository for the widely-used init system for carrying back-ports to existing stable releases and sharing stable patches amongst package maintainers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, that's nice. One of the biggest point against systemd (that I agreed with) is that systemd is a big, moving target, that wouldn't exactly fit the Debian ideology.

This fix it. Depending on how this works out, I could see this "stable" branch being adopted by more conservative distributions (IE not Arch). Especially if the systemd pace doesn't slow down (they seems to introduce some pretty big features/changes every release, and they release often).

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
      Well, that's nice. One of the biggest point against systemd (that I agreed with) is that systemd is a big, moving target, that wouldn't exactly fit the Debian ideology.

This fix it. Depending on how this works out, I could see this "stable" branch being adopted by more conservative distributions (IE not Arch). Especially if the systemd pace doesn't slow down (they seems to introduce some pretty big features/changes every release, and they release often).
      Well there aren't many distributions left. In case of Slackware I think that we'll rather see RMS using Microsoft Windows 8 on a Macbook than systemd being adopted as default init.

Comment

What crowd is Slackware directed towards? I don't find it appealing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Well there aren't many distributions left. In case of Slackware I think that we'll rather see RMS using Microsoft Windows 8 on a Macbook than systemd being adopted as default init.
          Why? Even Gentoo now has systemd on equal footing with OpenRC. What makes Slackware so different?

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
            What crowd is Slackware directed towards? I don't find it appealing at all.
            More or less the same target audience as gentoo, but who don't want to go to all of the trouble of building a gentoo installation, and/or want to do dependency resolution by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              Patrick have already talked about that Slackware would be using systemd if it was too much trouble not to adopt it. Some Slacker have already been working on systemd support for Slackware.

It is only a matter of time before Slackware starts using the new de facto Linux plumbing system, partially because systemd is part of the future Linux development stack that everyone will develop against, partly because it seems unlikely that Slackware will ever get the help and manpower needed to develop an alternative to systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
                Patrick have already talked about that Slackware would be using systemd if it was too much trouble not to adopt it. Some Slacker have already been working on systemd support for Slackware.

It is only a matter of time before Slackware starts using the new de facto Linux plumbing system, partially because systemd is part of the future Linux development stack that everyone will develop against, partly because it seems unlikely that Slackware will ever get the help and manpower needed to develop an alternative to systemd.
                quote from the interview with PV on LQ that you are probably referencing

"Concerning systemd, I do like the idea of a faster boot time (obviously), but I also like controlling the startup of the system with shell scripts that are readable, and I'm guessing that's what most Slackware users prefer too. I don't spend all day rebooting my machine, and having looked at systemd config files it seems to me a very foreign way of controlling a system to me, and attempting to control services, sockets, devices, mounts, etc., all within one daemon flies in the face of the UNIX concept of doing one thing and doing it well. "

that does not go with what you stated

slackware, the way i see it, is made to be simple and flexible
                (that is part of the "no dependency resolution" thing, even thou there are tools for it if you want)

it is not about manpower either
                there is already an alternative to udev, and there will probably be to logind when they brake the api console-kit uses

edit: PS it's not about politics either
                i doubt many slackers care about politics and popularity

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                  quote from the interview with PV on LQ that you are probably referencing

"Concerning systemd, I do like the idea of a faster boot time (obviously), but I also like controlling the startup of the system with shell scripts that are readable, and I'm guessing that's what most Slackware users prefer too. I don't spend all day rebooting my machine, and having looked at systemd config files it seems to me a very foreign way of controlling a system to me, and attempting to control services, sockets, devices, mounts, etc., all within one daemon flies in the face of the UNIX concept of doing one thing and doing it well. "

that does not go with what you stated

slackware, the way i see it, is made to be simple and flexible
                  (that is part of the "no dependency resolution" thing, even thou there are tools for it if you want)

it is not about manpower either
                  there is already an alternative to udev, and there will probably be to logind when they brake the api console-kit uses

edit: PS it's not about politics either
                  i doubt many slackers care about politics and popularity
                  Here is part of the quote you left out (my emphasis):

"Yeah, I see a few things coming down the line that may cause a shakeup to our usual way of doing things, and could force Slackware to become, well, perhaps less UNIX-like. I guess the two big ones that are on the horizon are Wayland and systemd. Whether we end up using them or not remains to be seen. It's quite possible that we won't end up having a choice in the matter depending on how development that's out of our hands goes. It's hard to say whether moving to these technologies would be a good thing for Slackware overall. "
                  Patrick Volkerding, the founder of Slackware Linux, agreed to an interview with LQ. Here is what he had to say. Some question were contributed by

Slackware will move in the same direction as every other Linux distro: Sysvinit and X are on minimum life support right now, with systemd and Wayland being the future of Linux. Patrick is perhaps sceptical, but Slackware is such a small distro that it won't have the manpower to even maintain status quo. There simply doesn't seem to be any developer impetus to maintain a full featured Sysvinit Linux distro. Maybe some Debian Sysvinit derivative will be made, but it will mostly be a server version, since DE support for non-systemd systems have been bit-rotting for years now.

Comment

Wayland is against Unix too now?

Comment

Working...
                    X