Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 750 Is A Great $120 Linux Graphics Card

Phoronix: NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 750 Is A Great $120 Linux Graphics Card

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 is a great value graphics card for $120 that delivers great mid-range performance while its performance-per-Watt is exceptional. If you don't mind using binary graphics drivers, the GTX 750 based upon NVIDIA's new Maxwell architecture with the GM107 is worth checking out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any single up-to-date (I guess an update every 6 months is a minimum) resource where I could find out which graphics should I buy for Linux gaming, broken into specific price ranges?

Comment

This card, as impressive as it is, and it certainly is, along with the 750Ti, occupy a weird middle ground/no man's land: Overpowered for a HTPC build or standard productivity desktop, yet underpowered for a true gaming setup. Still, damn impressive cards. Maxwell should do some really extraordinary things in laptops once the mobile versions come out.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
        This card, as impressive as it is, and it certainly is, along with the 750Ti, occupy a weird middle ground/no man's land: Overpowered for a HTPC build or standard productivity desktop, yet underpowered for a true gaming setup.
        The 750 Ti occupies a very special niche: it's the best GPU in coin mining perf / watt, heads down.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          The 750 Ti occupies a very special niche: it's the best GPU in coin mining perf / watt, heads down.
          I guess it's also the best for Blender Cycles in perf / watt. http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...=1#post2587815

Let's hope Nvidia does not cripple it in a new driver version.

Comment

New driver:
            Download the English (US) Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver for Linux 64-bit systems. Released 2014.3.3

Added support for the following GPUs:
            GeForce GTX 750 Ti
            GeForce GTX 750
            GeForce GTX 745
            GeForce GTX TITAN Black
            Added support for GPUs with VDPAU Feature Set E. See the README for details.
            On GPUs with VDPAU Feature Set E, VDPAU now supports more robust decode error handling at the cost of a minor performance impact.
            This can be disabled by setting the
            VDPAU_NVIDIA_DISABLE_ERROR_CONCEALMENT environment variable to 1.
            And much more...

So maxwell is indeed new feature set E vdpau hardware:

Anandtech said maxwell can partially decode h265/hevc, but I can't find any mention about it anywhere else.

Comment

Is there really money to be made in bitcoin mining? I thought that whole thing was a scam.

Comment

Is there really money to be made in bitcoin mining? I thought that whole thing was a scam.
                There's no point for maining bitcoins with gpus anymore, custom made asics are for bitcoin mining.

Litecoins and dogecoins are the one which still can be mined with gpus, but that might change in future too.

Comment

It's far from a scam, it's a mathematically sound pseudonymous currency. As such, its value will continue to rise as economic issues, erosion of rights, and governmental spying continue.

There's great money indeed in other coins, Doge has over tripled in a few months for example. BTC is over a million times worth what it was four years ago. You don't see gains like these in stocks: the recent hit, Tesla, got 6x in a few years. And Tesla is fairly alone in such profits.

So just like stocks and gold, it's a profitable gamble. It's very hard to lose money if you have some common sense, and can afford to be in it long-term.

Comment

Looks like a good card. Any thoughts on Gigabyte's GTX 750?

Also, compared to the AMD Radeon HD 7750 or 7770, is there any difference regarding video playback (quality)? I suppose both of these cards are comparable for gaming except for games in which they're designed for Nvidia? The GTX 750 also looks like it outperforms on more benchmarks by a little bit compared to the (closest?) AMD card?

FOSS options might be better with the AMD, too?

Comment

Working...
                    X