Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001

Phoronix: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001

The Seagate ST2000DM001 is a two terabyte Serial ATA 3.0 hard drive that retails for less than $90 USD and is the subject of this weekend's benchmarks at Phoronix.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are different versions of this drive

Looks like you got the 3 667GB platter version instead of the 2 1TB platter version, which is faster and quieter.

Here's some info: http://www.techenclave.com/community...-sizes.138435/

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
      Looks like you got the 3 667GB platter version instead of the 2 1TB platter version, which is faster and quieter.

Here's some info: http://www.techenclave.com/community...-sizes.138435/
      My mistake. Yours is the 1TB platter version, in which case I don't know why it's slow. It should be blazing fast.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
        My mistake. Yours is the 1TB platter version, in which case I don't know why it's slow. It should be blazing fast.
        I don't know the details of how each test works, but generally speaking with HDDs, a higher capacity means slower seek times but faster read times. The speed you're expecting could be failing due to random reads/writes.

Comment

Also, you can check if you have the newest firmware installed.
          I bought this HDD more then a year ago (don't know about platter configuration).

When I used smartctl recently, it told me that a firmware update is available for this device.*
          And indeed, there where quite a few firmware revision between the one installed and the
          newest one available on their website. Not sure if it helps, concerning the performance.
          At least Seagate rates the update(s) as "Important".

The firmware updates are provided as *.exe and *.iso files, so even the ones using
          Linux exclusively should be able to update the disks easily.

[*] This is actually quite a nice feature of smartctl, that I didn't know about.
          smartctl even provided the links to the download page.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            The firmware updates are provided as *.exe and *.iso files, so even the ones using
            Linux exclusively should be able to update the disks easily.
            Yeah, it's pretty handy (smartctl). I tried to update my firmware using the ISO a while back, and it couldn't detect my drive. I changed some options in my firmware (uEFI), I think enabling BIOS compatibility and switching the drive mode to IDE, and it was able to detect the drive then, but it thought it was the wrong model (maybe it was, but it looked like the right one...).

I might try again later. :/

Comment

Not that it matters, but bigger size only means that you will have more lost data, because seagate is number one in bad hdds.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
                Not that it matters, but bigger size only means that you will have more lost data, because seagate is number one in bad hdds.
                Do you have a source for that please? Everything I've read up to now suggests that there is simply insufficient evidence to draw such wide generalizations about the competing manufacturers, which makes me skeptical of your comment. However, if you do have solid, non-anecdotal evidence to show, I will stand corrected, and happily at that. Such information would be very useful.

Comment

Apparently I'm not the only one (same exact model, too). Well, as long as it doesn't die catastrophically like the 500GB Hitachi I had in my laptop (now replaced by a 128GB SSD), I'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                    Do you have a source for that please? Everything I've read up to now suggests that there is simply insufficient evidence to draw such wide generalizations about the competing manufacturers, which makes me skeptical of your comment. However, if you do have solid, non-anecdotal evidence to show, I will stand corrected, and happily at that. Such information would be very useful.
                    there's this at least:

My last two blog posts were about expected drive lifetimes and drive reliability. These posts were an outgrowth of the careful work that we've done at Backblaze to find the most cost-effective disk drives. Running a truly unlimited online backup service for only $5 per month means our cloud storage needs to be very efficient and we need to quickly figure out which drives work.

personally i lost a 3tb seagate disk after 6 months. but i'm still ok using them in raid. i'm using 3x3tb seagates in raidz. pretty good performance wise. i also have a 2tb disk as scratch space etc.. but mostly use ssd now.

Comment

Working...
                    X