Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4K Ultra HD Graphics Card Testing On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: 4K Ultra HD Graphics Card Testing On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

With the release of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" right around the corner we have out today some new benchmarks of various AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards when testing them with the latest Linux GPU drivers on Ubuntu 14.04 at 4K (3840 x 2160).

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Aspect ratio of 16:9 is good for watching movies. If you write code for a living you want vertical space, so at least 16:10.

Where are all the 3830x2400 monitors?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
      High-end AMD Radeon hardware on RadeonSI Gallium3D should be good enough, but we'll know for sure in our next 4K article when we focus exclusively upon the open-source graphics Ultra HD performance.
      Thank you very much

Comment

I'd like to see older radeon cards with DP1.2 but i know you don't have a dp 4k monitor. I am waiting for the FOSS article.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
          Aspect ratio of 16:9 is good for watching movies. If you write code for a living you want vertical space, so at least 16:10.

As someone who actually owns this monitor, and codes at it 6 hours a day: You're full of shit. The sheer amount of available space (0.42 m2) makes specific aspect ratios utterly meaningless from an application usage standpoint, as games and videos are the only sensible things to run fullscreen. I currently have a number of small terminal windows in a line above my IDE, where they are out of the way. That space is so far above my normal line of sight that it is actually annoying to have something I'm regularly looking at there.

Comment

I guess they are keeping the 1920x1200 monitors warm :P

16:10 is better, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for affordable 16:10 monitors.

Comment

From the article 2nd page:
              [...]which means there's NVIDIA GeForce hardware to play with at Phoronix than AMD when it comes to latest generation components[...]
              I believe there should be a "more" between "there's" and "NVIDIA".

Interesting article, thanks! I tried to compare this to the quad-monitor article from December http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...or_linux&num=1 (please don't bash me for linking to a phoronix article ) and it would seems quad monitor or 4k doesn't really make a difference for NVIDIA, they show almost same values for the comparable benchmarks: Unigine and Xonotic 0.7
              Is there any plan to have a set of default benchmarks in the future? It would be helpful when comparing different articles, in this case for example the quad monitor article had Doom3, Prey, all Unigine and Xonotic while this have Nexuiz, Reaction Quake, Unigine Heaven/Valley and Xonotic.

Comment

As someone who writes code for a living, I would suggest that you investigate portrait mode (2160x3840) and see if it suits your needs. I tend to go for the best of both worlds and do a 2560x1440 center, and an 1080x1920 on each side.

Comment

There aren't enough people writing code demanding high resolution displays to justify a factory in China or Taiwan producing those panels. If there were, they would still be ludicrously more expensive than the 16:9 tv panels. I'd rather have 3x screens in 16:9 than 1x screen in 16;10. I can just put them in portrait mode if I want.

Comment

For open source 4k support on newer radeons, make sure your kernel has this patch:

It's in 3.14 and the stable kernel series.

Comment

Working...
                    X