Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon X.Org Driver Can Now Build Against The New GLAMOR

Phoronix: Radeon X.Org Driver Can Now Build Against The New GLAMOR

The xf86-video-ati DDX driver is now able to build against the in-tree GLAMOR code found within the X.Org Server 1.16 code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Better the EXA must be proven

On HD 5000 and 6000 Redwood series was better EXA. What is advantage of GLAMOR indeed? Will it be better choice for next X.Org and video-ati for Redwood as well as for Islands? I hope so. Keep testing, Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by pjezek View Post
      On HD 5000 and 6000 Redwood series was better EXA. What is advantage of GLAMOR indeed? Will it be better choice for next X.Org and video-ati for Redwood as well as for Islands? I hope so. Keep testing, Michael!
      Since all modern video cards support OpenGL, why not reuse that support for a DDX? The answer is glamor. Instead of creating a seperate driver specifically for X, they can use OpenGL which is used by a lot of other things. So no more time 'wasted' for specifically supporting X once glamor is used.

Comment

Originally posted by pjezek View Post
        On HD 5000 and 6000 Redwood series was better EXA. What is advantage of GLAMOR indeed? Will it be better choice for next X.Org and video-ati for Redwood as well as for Islands? i hope so. Keep testing, Michael!
        Glamor right now is pretty unoptimized, but Eric over at Intel is very hopeful. He's hopeful to the point that he considers the handtuned SNA to be 'pretty good' but believes that they can get GLAMOR to be even better than SNA
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I run glamor on Trinity/Richland chips (6xxx series based IGPs) and its pretty much the same as exa with xfce4 (no compositing) in actual usage. There are some slower things such as libreoffice calc in some circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
            I assume this is the direction Julien is headed for Debian Jessie and this is why he didn't go with Glamor support so far?

Trying to read tea leaves here. Hopefully we'll see official Glamor support soon...
            That's why I installed Kanotix packages... I replaced a hd6770 that burned, but a 7850 and then had no 3D at all !

Comment

Working...
            X