Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 14.3 Beta Linux Driver Fixes OpenGL Performance Issues

Phoronix: Catalyst 14.3 Beta Linux Driver Fixes OpenGL Performance Issues

AMD has released a new Windows and Linux Catalyst proprietary graphics driver. The Catalyst 14.3 Beta for Linux doesn't advertise any new features, but it comes with some bug-fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too early for much improvements.

AMD is busy with Mantle, and Steamboxes are not here yet. (So if AMD have to prioritize...)
    EDIT:
    Radeon drivers are not yet ready for prime time for such perf. oriented audience as Steambox users. But hey, maybe it will change with radeonsi gen hw.

Comment

I'm tired of catalyst and don't really want to try it out.
      My system runs much smoother with RadeonSI. Everything that works just works without issues, crashes, glitches.
      Metro runs very well on Kaveri (mesa 10.2 git)

Comment

The performance improvements for Nexuiz are interesting, would be interesting to see what actually happened (benchmarks of Quake3-ish games maybe?).

However, it should be noted that this driver is unfortunately still based on the 13.35 branch. So the feature work from the past 2-3 months is still yet to feature in the AMD Catalyst.

Comment

How about improving the performance for games that people actually play?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            I'm tired of catalyst and don't really want to try it out.
            My system runs much smoother with RadeonSI. Everything that works just works without issues, crashes, glitches.
            Metro runs very well on Kaveri (mesa 10.2 git)
            Agreed. I fired up Portal 2 last night on my 7850 using the radeonsi driver and played for ~2 hours. At no point was the framerate anything but smooth. I don't have actual numbers, but the point is that it performed well enough that I didn't care. This is a huge improvement from when I first ran TF2 on my 6850 about a year ago. There was lots of stuttering and pausing all over the place. Of course the 6850 has also smoothed out over time, which just makes me want to thank the 3D driver devs even more.

Comment

The poor 2d performance continue

Comment

I have some hope that AMD will announce something for their Linux users at the GDC. Hence they invited Phoronix there.

If not, I think that I'll run buy a high-end NVIDIA card and be done with all the torturing.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                  AMD is busy with Mantle,
                  *AMD is busy with their currently windows-only implementation of Mantle.

Comment

In all fairness, the Catalyst problems are not only with LINUX...example:

Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars

In Windows XP i get with certain settings 150-200 FPS....and overall feeling is very smooth.

In W7/W8/W8.1 i get with same settings....30-50 FPS...and stutters like crazy when straffing.

All this with same hardware and same game settings....

This means that even in Window$-land, i have to use WinXP to have some decent gaming experience with OGL games...or at least with some titles.

Tonight i gonna give a shot with OSS Radeon to see if i can have finally some quality gaming with AMD hardware in LINUX.

BTW, nowadays its a piece of cake to install Steam client in SLACKWARE so i guess i will dump Linux Mint or any UBUNTU derivated for good....this is because between UBUNTU-derivated and SLACKWARE, performance of SLACKWARE is ALWAYS superior.

Only needed to use deb2tgz to convert steam_latest.deb to a .tgz file and use installpkg as usual to install Steam client
                    Last edited by AJSB; 18 March 2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X