Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS PB278Q WQHD LED PLS Professional Graphics Monitor

Phoronix: ASUS PB278Q WQHD LED PLS Professional Graphics Monitor

For those that found the 1920 x 1080 resolution for the 27-inch ASUS MX279H IPS Monitor too small when it was reviewed earlier this month on Phoronix, today we are looking at the ASUS PB278Q. This monitor is part of the ASUS Professional Graphics Monitor series and offers some brilliant specs for those in the market for a 27-inch 2560 x 1440 display with DVI, DisplayPort, and HDMI connectivity.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no note about PWM. And I'm thinking monitors these days (hi res ones) should drop the VGA and DVI and include another DisplayPort, maybe even an extra HDMI. Rationale: connecting a DP laptop and some other HDMI device shouldn't require resorting to stiff DVI cables for a desktop machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
      Still no note about PWM. And I'm thinking monitors these days (hi res ones) should drop the VGA and DVI and include another DisplayPort, maybe even an extra HDMI. Rationale: connecting a DP laptop and some other HDMI device shouldn't require resorting to stiff DVI cables for a desktop machine.
      Some people only have VGA or DVI... but I agree VGA should be dropped.

Comment

Please test "green on white" terminal windows in a badly-lit room...

It would be very nice for this monitor - and any monitor you test - to try to use it in a low-lit environment on full-screen terminal window.

All those Splendid-Theather-Nightview-Scenery modes are only good for gaming and watching movies.

My Asus 27" VS278Q, even in lowest brightness/contrast settings, when using full-screen black terminal windows, is a punch in my eyes. Too much light. Things are slightly better using the VGA port (so I think that its HDMI and DP ports are internally "decoded to VGA" and then feeded to the display, adding extra contrast/brightness in the conversion).

Comment

ASUS monitors are great. Love their stands too.

Comment

Unfortunately, it does use PWM.

Comment

I also prefer monitors with just one input source plugged straight into the panel. My 1440p is Dual-Link DVI only and has extremely small input lag in gaming. There is also a multi-input variant of my monitor and it has about 30 ms of input lag just.

Comment

Rationale: connecting a DP laptop and some other HDMI device shouldn't require resorting to stiff DVI cables for a desktop machine.
                A trick that can be done on monitors with proper working EDID like this one is using a Dual-link DVI to HDMI adapter on both ends and then using a Redmere HDMI cable (I used monoprice Redmere cables). You end up with a cable thinner then most DisplayPort cables. That's how I have two of these exact monitors hooked up to the Titan (the third hooked up to the DP).

Comment

Now if only this was 1/3rd the price I'd get it in an instant. The overhead for 3 more inches and 1.78x more pixels means 4x the price of a 24" fullHD IPS screen. That's some terrible scaling.

Comment

Can you run the full 2560x1440 via HDMI on your laptop?

Comment

Working...
                    X