Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxthon Does Its First Cloud Browser Release For Linux

Phoronix: Maxthon Does Its First Cloud Browser Release For Linux

Last year we wrote of the Maxthon web-browser being ported to Linux and as of today the first official version is available to the public...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks but we will stick to free browsers. We can at least check whether they spy on us.

Comment

Popular? Just how do you define popular Michael? this is the first time I've ever even seen this browser mentioned anywhere, and I've never heard anyone ever mention it or use it. Calling Genode popular is bad enough but this is flat out obscure.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Popular? Just how do you define popular Michael? this is the first time I've ever even seen this browser mentioned anywhere, and I've never heard anyone ever mention it or use it. Calling Genode popular is bad enough but this is flat out obscure.
        I know Chris Pirillo of lockergnome.com was pimping it hard.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
          Thanks but we will stick to free browsers. We can at least check whether they spy on us.
          Tell that to all the Opera/Chrome users

Comment

Bad UI

It uses a completly custom window that looks like a terrible ripoff of Gnome's default theme. Everything is comically big. It's sad because Maxthon looks pretty good on iOS.

Comment

Using Trident heh? (It also use WebKit)

Maxthon is not a browser I care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                Tell that to all the Opera/Chrome users
                Chrome is not far from just being a branded build of Chromium. You could consider the proprietary sandboxed flash/pdf plugins to be part of it, but they work in Chromium too.

Comment

I just tried it, it's so so. I'd rather use Firefox.

Comment

I used Maxthon about 5 years ago. It was pretty good back then...I liked it, at least. It was much more stable than IE, I think it supported multiple render engines at the time, and had some other interesting features.

I tried it again a few years later, but it hadn't gotten a lot better, and Firefox and Opera seemed like better alternatives (faster, more extensible).

For what it's worth, "Maxthon for Linux" uses WebKit, not Trident--Maxthon couldn't use Trident if they wanted to, because the engine is Microsoft's, and they (MS) haven't ported it to Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X