Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DisplayPort MST Support Is In The Works For Linux

Phoronix: DisplayPort MST Support Is In The Works For Linux

David Airlie has begun hacking on DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport handling for the open-source DRM/KMS graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: DisplayPort MST Support Is In The Works For Linux

David Airlie has begun hacking on DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport handling for the open-source DRM/KMS graphics drivers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY1MjI
    I am kind of surprised by reading his blog that devs of his caliber don't get fancy new/latest hardware to hack on either by their employer or by one of the MFGs that "support" linux. (ie 4k monitors)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
      It was also discovered that among newer Lenovo ThinkPad docks they are using one DisplayPort connector and then from the dock exposing VGA, HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort connections.
      That Dell and Lenovo docks contain DP MST hubs has actually been known for several months already: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72795

I hope that more manufacturers besides Club3D start offering MST hubs, so the prices come down a bit (currently CSV-5300 costs ~100 EUR in Europe).

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        That Dell and Lenovo docks contain DP MST hubs has actually been known for several months already: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72795

I hope that more manufacturers besides Club3D start offering MST hubs, so the prices come down a bit (currently CSV-5300 costs ~100 EUR in Europe).
        I generally don't worry about problems I can't solve :-P, then the hw ends up on my desk, and its a problem I can solve!

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          I am kind of surprised by reading his blog that devs of his caliber don't get fancy new/latest hardware to hack on either by their employer or by one of the MFGs that "support" linux. (ie 4k monitors)
          Generally RH has budgets that have to be written last year, and new hw is a real pain in the ass unless some customer or partner supplies it, especially monitors for some reason, nobody likes to give me monitors!

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
            Generally RH has budgets that have to be written last year, and new hw is a real pain in the ass unless some customer or partner supplies it, especially monitors for some reason, nobody likes to give me monitors!

Dave.
            Ask someone from Dell or Samsung nicely. Honestly i was expecting that its kind of a regular thing to get HW (even pre production stuff) from MFGs.

Comment

Additional note you should have put in the article: MST is needed for 60 Hz Ultra HD.

4K and UHD are not the same things, the former is 4096?2160, the latter is 3840?2160.

Comment

Only until the next DP version, which has enough bw without two-screen emulation.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Only until the next DP version, which has enough bw without two-screen emulation.
                  I thought dp1.2 could drive 4k @60hz

Comment

Dell UP2424Q w/ DP 1.2 on Fedora 20?

I was thinking about getting the Dell UP2424Q to use with an Intense PC2 which is Haswell with DP 1.2, but this article leaves me wondering if that's going to work out of the box with Fedora 20 or if it requires MST support for a good result. In other words, maybe I should wait to purchase hardware for the software to catch up...

Comment

Working...
                    X