Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Language 0.10 Released With Big Improvements

Phoronix: Rust Language 0.10 Released With Big Improvements

Version 0.10 of Rust is not out from the Mozilla community and it's a huge update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Version 0.10 of Rust is not out from the Mozilla community and it's a huge update.
    Not out???

Comment

Originally posted by jwilliams View Post
      Not out???
      I think he meant "is now out".
      The site lists 0.10.0 as the latest "stable" version as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        I think he meant "is now out".
        Ah, I thought it was a new trick to get more articles. Every day he could have an article about some software that was NOT yet out.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilliams View Post
          Ah, I thought it was a new trick to get more articles. Every day he could have an article about some software that was NOT yet out.
          I thought the same thing. Cool.

One thing that surprised me about Mozilla and Rust - the flagship Rust project is the "Servo" browser. The last time I tried to compile it, it involved tons of C and C++ code. I thought the plan was for the great bulk of the code to be Rust and other languages only used when required to interface with external libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            I thought the same thing. Cool.

One thing that surprised me about Mozilla and Rust - the flagship Rust project is the "Servo" browser. The last time I tried to compile it, it involved tons of C and C++ code. I thought the plan was for the great bulk of the code to be Rust and other languages only used when required to interface with external libraries.
            According to the GitHub stats:
            62.1% of the code is Rust
            33.6% is Python
            2.3% is C++
            1.6% is C
            and 0.4% is "Other"

The C++ and C are most likely libs or other pieces that just aren't implemented in Rust yet, and/or are there for performance reasons.
            The Python is highly confusing to me though... that could warrant an explanation >.<

Comment

According to the GitHub stats:
              62.1% of the code is Rust
              33.6% is Python
              2.3% is C++
              1.6% is C
              and 0.4% is "Other"

The C++ and C are most likely libs or other pieces that just aren't implemented in Rust yet, and/or are there for performance reasons.
              The Python is highly confusing to me though... that could warrant an explanation >.<
              A large part of Servo is generated DOM bindings (from WebIDL), and that generating is done by some Python scripts. Most of the Python is tests for that generator. Anyway, GitHub's language counter doesn't count submodules. Unsurprisingly, a lot of the submodules are bindings to existing C (and sometimes C++) libraries. For example, there's no pure-Rust libpng replacement (although there is a work-in-progress, https://github.com/cmr/TEMP-rust-png, that's actually on-par with libpng's decode performance).

EDIT: Also, we don't believe in writing C or C++ for performance, since Rust can perform just as well as either of them. If it can't in a particular situation, that's a bug in Rust that needs fixing.
              Last edited by cmr~; 03 April 2014, 10:37 PM. Reason: add performance note

Comment

Originally posted by cmr~ View Post
                A large part of Servo is generated DOM bindings (from WebIDL), and that generating is done by some Python scripts. Most of the Python is tests for that generator. Anyway, GitHub's language counter doesn't count submodules. Unsurprisingly, a lot of the submodules are bindings to existing C (and sometimes C++) libraries. For example, there's no pure-Rust libpng replacement (although there is a work-in-progress, https://github.com/cmr/TEMP-rust-png, that's actually on-par with libpng's decode performance).

EDIT: Also, we don't believe in writing C or C++ for performance, since Rust can perform just as well as either of them. If it can't in a particular situation, that's a bug in Rust that needs fixing.
                Thanks for the information. I hope Mozilla in general, and Rust and Servo in particular do well.

Comment

The site lists 0.10.0 as the latest "stable" version as well.
                  It also says that "Rust is a work-in-progress and may do anything it likes up to and including eating your laundry".

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                    It also says that "Rust is a work-in-progress and may do anything it likes up to and including eating your laundry".
                    Well yeah, its a 0.10 of a language lol. I just wish it was prepackaged in Fedora to play around with because I'm really interested by this
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X