Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Phone Demoed On The Meizu MX3

Phoronix: Ubuntu Phone Demoed On The Meizu MX3

Going back to January has been talk about Ubuntu on Chinese smart-phones and in February it was announced that Meizu is one of two Ubuntu Phone launch partners. Meizu dominates the Chinese market while the BQ Ubuntu Phone will target Europe...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly, it looks damn good.

I knew it looked "okay" since it was announced but I can honestly say I like it. Though, the "swipe down from status indicators" could get pretty dang tricky...

Comment

I find it lovely too.

While I agree the swipe down from a single icon will probably be hit and miss, the fact that you can scroll horizontally among the different setting screens will probably alleviate it. This is one thing that you have to use personally in order to make a proper judgement.

Comment

Its UI (all the gestures basically) look complicated. While it looks ok (aesthetically) the way you interact with it its going to be a nightmare i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Its UI (all the gestures basically) look complicated. While it looks ok (aesthetically) the way you interact with it its going to be a nightmare i believe.
          Have you tried it?

Before trying it I thought the same. However, after trying it I found it to be... well.. natural and intuitive.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            As much as I hate Ubuntu and hate praising it, I'll have to disagree. The gesture UI seems to be the best phone UI out there. It definitely needs some getting used to, but once you are used to it it'll be much easier and faster to use than anything out there.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              As much as I hate Ubuntu and hate praising it, I'll have to disagree. The gesture UI seems to be the best phone UI out there. It definitely needs some getting used to, but once you are used to it it'll be much easier and faster to use than anything out there.
              Yea I loathe Ubuntu but it makes an awesome phone OS.
              I might actually get one.

Comment

I tried the Ubuntu Phone in October (13.10 on a Nexus 4) and while there were missing features and lots of bugs, it was still really impressive. The UI is not as hard as it might look here, and newer versions of Android are moving in a similar direction.

Comment

I'm sure learning the gestures and where things are will take the usual time when using something new.

I have a question for those who have used this. With all those edge gestures, how easy/difficult is it to use with one hand? I know Sailfish has a bottom centric UI for easier thumb use but based on only looking at these videos, Ubuntu Touch seems like it may be more cumbersome to use with one hand compared to other devices that are the same size.

Thanks!

Comment

this is not the goal. the goal is, take this, put it in a dock and it transforms itself in a complete desktop, with libreoffice,full browser, etc...

Comment

Working...
                    X