Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Gets Proposals For Many More Features

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Gets Proposals For Many More Features

It's certainly looking like Fedora 21 will premiere with a massive amount of features, perhaps the most ever. Fedora 21 already has a ton of features but another large batch of proposals have been submitted for this next major Linux distribution release due out at the end of 2014...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Periodic Update to Images. The main focus here is being able to re-release official images of Fedora Linux on a monthly basis or when needed, in case of severe security updates. The main focus here is on issuing periodic image updates to Fedora Cloud images.
    Please, can we have every distribution do this?
    There's nothing more annoying than installing a distribution, and then having to upgrade pretty much every package the second it goes online.
    It reminds me of Windows (not nearly as bad, the last time I had to install Windows 7 from scratch it took like 4 reboots and over an hour of downloads).

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
      There's nothing more annoying than installing a distribution, and then having to upgrade pretty much every package the second it goes online.
      It reminds me of Windows (not nearly as bad, the last time I had to install Windows 7 from scratch it took like 4 reboots and over an hour of downloads).
      You only need to reboot once, usually. The problem of doing this is the potential loss of stability that can be caused -- it also needs lots of testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
        Actually, during the Fedora installation process, you have the option of pulling files from the update repository.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Actually, during the Fedora installation process, you have the option of pulling files from the update repository.
          ... And if you install a *lot* of Fedora VM's, you should consider setting up a local Fedora repo.

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Is there no easy-to-use tool to add updates to the image? The Fedora equivalent to slipstreaming, should be faster than having a hundred VMs each download updates, even from a local server.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Is there no easy-to-use tool to add updates to the image? The Fedora equivalent to slipstreaming, should be faster than having a hundred VMs each download updates, even from a local server.
              If you need install a large number of VM's you're most likely doing a network installation from a network server w/ a kick-start file.
              AFAIK there's no way to slipstreaming the updates (and for a good reason, some updates may actually break the installer).

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
              X