Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Workstation Is Making Me Quite Excited

Phoronix: Fedora Workstation Is Making Me Quite Excited

With the ongoing rework happening within the Fedora camp, there's emerging Fedora Workstation, Fedora Cloud, and Fedora Server "product" working groups. The work happening within Fedora Workstation is quite exciting and rejuvenating the project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So instead of asking ?what features are there in systemd that we can expose/use in the desktop being our question, the question instead becomes ?what new features do we want to offer our users in future versions of the product, and what do we need from systemd, the kernel and others to be able to do that?."
    And he's paid for doing such logical "discoveries"? I wonder if he knows bears shit in the woods..

Comment

According to Fedora?s own desktop mailing list, less than 50% of desktop Fedora users use Gnome. Yet somehow the ?workstation? product is dominated by Gnome folk.
      That's typical Gnome mentality: They think that the world revolves around them.
      If the Gnomes? had any honesty in them, they'd call this product Fedora Gnome.

Imagine if the Fedora KDE contributors called their spin/product "Fedora Desktop/Workstation/?": All Gnomes would be up in arms.

? ?Gnomes? is not a derogatory term. It was coined by RMS who used the term in his declaration of war against KDE when he wrote ?the GNU Project is going to support its own team vigorously. Go get 'em, gnomes!?

PS: I have nothing against Gnome as software per s?. I disagree with some design decisions like headerbars but that?s it. I have, however, a problem with the arrogant attitude many (not all) Gnomes often present.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        According to Fedora’s own desktop mailing list, less than 50% of desktop Fedora users use Gnome. Yet somehow the “workstation” product is dominated by Gnome folk.
        No Fedora IS short word for Fedora Gnome, gnome is the default fedora desktop, so calling the workstation fedora gnome makes no sense.

And yes gnome is maybe not that dominant that they think, but to have that goal I see no problem. I use i3wm but if they try to make gnome better I love it, maybe I switch to it back again.

BUT kde is not used much, I would bet that there are more xfce users out there than kde users, the only Distribution that uses kde as default I know is opensuse ok looked it mageia also uses now kde, every other distro that matters have either no default desktop (gentoo/arch) or use mostly gnome-based or at least gkt-based desktops.

But I dont get why u asume something gnome-specific onto that workstation of course u have to use some wm/desktop but they give tools to develop for much stuff.

Of course they dont want to develop tools for 20 different oses instaed of writing 20x so much tools for 1 desktop.

except they have developed some cli-tools for developers in the past, so its often not gnome-specific anyway.

Comment

According to Fedora?s own desktop mailing list, less than 50% of desktop Fedora users use Gnome. Yet somehow the ?workstation? product is dominated by Gnome folk.
          That's typical Gnome mentality: They think that the world revolves around them
          Would you mind providing a reference to the 50% claim? I don't think anyone has a good way to measure that and even if those numbers were true, this isn't a popularity game. Workstation proposal was from many of the same people who are upstream GNOME developers and work on Fedora desktop live image. So it is not at all surprising that the produce would use GNOME.

Having one product out of three (or more depending on the number of proposals approved) doesn't seem like the world to me. You seem to be just projecting your own imagery.

Comment

According to Fedora’s own desktop mailing list, less than 50% of desktop Fedora users use Gnome. Yet somehow the “workstation” product is dominated by Gnome folk.
            That's typical Gnome mentality: They think that the world revolves around them.
            I think the world does revolve around them. At least you are! There is not even a single mention of Gnome in the article, nor in the comment above you, yet you find yourself compelled to bring Gnome in the conversation.

Back to the subject. I am excited as well. Hopefully this will help them focus more on bugs related to Fedora on the laptop. F20 has few bugs related to this, like needing to restart Gnome Shell whenever an external monitor is plugged/unplugged, or having pulseaudio go crazy from time to time when USB headsets are plugged/unplugged.

Comment

Ripe opportunity

I really think the developer workstation is a great opportunity for Fedora. These days it seems like most corporate Windows boxes are used only to serve web applications or for development. If they can make this experience great, I bet we will see more Windows desktop to Linux migrations.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                I think the world does revolve around them. At least you are! There is not even a single mention of Gnome in the article, nor in the comment above you, yet you find yourself compelled to bring Gnome in the conversation.

Back to the subject. I am excited as well. Hopefully this will help them focus more on bugs related to Fedora on the laptop. F20 has few bugs related to this, like needing to restart Gnome Shell whenever an external monitor is plugged/unplugged, or having pulseaudio go crazy from time to time when USB headsets are plugged/unplugged.
                I wonder what DE is on screenshots. What might it be?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  No Fedora IS short word for Fedora Gnome, gnome is the default fedora desktop, so calling the workstation fedora gnome makes no sense.

And yes gnome is maybe not that dominant that they think, but to have that goal I see no problem. I use i3wm but if they try to make gnome better I love it, maybe I switch to it back again.

BUT kde is not used much, I would bet that there are more xfce users out there than kde users, the only Distribution that uses kde as default I know is opensuse ok looked it mageia also uses now kde, every other distro that matters have either no default desktop (gentoo/arch) or use mostly gnome-based or at least gkt-based desktops.

But I dont get why u asume something gnome-specific onto that workstation of course u have to use some wm/desktop but they give tools to develop for much stuff.

Of course they dont want to develop tools for 20 different oses instaed of writing 20x so much tools for 1 desktop.

except they have developed some cli-tools for developers in the past, so its often not gnome-specific anyway.
                  Not Fedora but according to archs stats kdebase-workspace is installed by 35% gnome-shell by 24%, xfce4-panel by 28% and cinnamon-desktop by 5%. So at least in arch kde is popular.

Comment

...and it's blue. It's got to be said. Fedora has a nice soothing blue theme.

Comment

Working...
                    X