Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 LTS vs. 14.04 LTS Server Benchmarks

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS vs. 14.04 LTS Server Benchmarks

To complement the just-published Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS, 13.10, and 14.04 LTS desktop benchmarks are results when running a variety of workstation and server oriented benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It looks like there are some serious performance regressions in 14.04...

Comment

That's too bad, I was going to use Ubuntu 14.04 on my gaming rig, but will have to wait until they patch these regressions. Ubuntu 12.04 had regressions when it first came out, but they fixed a lot of that in future updates.

Perhaps I will switch to Arch + XFCE + compton for my gaming rig... will have to see what happens in the next few months.

Thanks for doing Ubuntu 14.04 benchmarks, Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
        That's too bad, I was going to use Ubuntu 14.04 on my gaming rig, but will have to wait until they patch these regressions. Ubuntu 12.04 had regressions when it first came out, but they fixed a lot of that in future updates.

Perhaps I will switch to Arch + XFCE + compton for my gaming rig... will have to see what happens in the next few months.

try xfce with kwin, it works a treat. You get full control over vsync methods from the gui and render modes too + way more effects such as expo and scale.

thelinuxrain.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, thelinuxrain.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post

The regressions are only on the open source stack, unusable in serious gaming machines, so i don't understand why it does not suit you.
          I believe that better results would be possible installing the xorg edgers or oibaf stack.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
            The regressions are only on the open source stack, unusable in serious gaming machines, so i don't understand why it does not suit you.
            I believe that better results would be possible installing the xorg edgers or oibaf stack.
            you haven't noticed probably but these tests aren't about graphics subsystem. Are they?

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
              you haven't noticed probably but these tests aren't about graphics subsystem. Are they?
              maybe i clicked on the wrong comment section.

Comment

Working...
              X