AMD's Spider Platform On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Spider Platform On Linux?

Phoronix: AMD's Spider Platform On Linux?

This morning AMD has introduced their new cutting-edge PC platform that's codenamed "Spider". The Spider platform consists of AMD's Phenom quad-core processors, ATI Radeon HD 3800 graphics, and the AMD 7-series chipsets.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

hope my quad gpu will work

Comment

On january, I will purchase:

AMD Phenom X4 with B3 stepping (current ones have B2)
      Gigabyte motherboard with AMD 790FX and SB700 (current ones have SB600)
      4 GB DDR2-800 CL4
      Zalman 9700 LED

At the moment I have

ASUS A8R-MVP (S939, AMD RD480, ULI M1575)
      AMD Athlon 64 Singlecore @ 2.5 GHz
      2 GB DDR400 CL3
      Zalman 7700 AlCu

and I'll keep my AMD Radeon X1900 XT 512 for at least 6 more month.

Should be a nice update, I guess. It nearly is a Spider platform then.

Comment

im more near a spider am2 5600+ 790 FX /sb600 though,
        2x 3870.

Comment

Someone must be a real AMD fan to buy that cpu - when you look at the price Intel quad cores are not more expensive, you only save a motherboard. Also OC works well with Intel too (33% with my E6600 with stock cooler). Only in very rare benchmarks these new AMD cpus win...

Comment

Tell me about it I used to be fan of AMD because their processors were better value for money. My first computer had the 1GHz Thunderbird processor and it's been like this since.

This year my dad got a mad deal for an Acer PC with an E6400, and since he had a PC already he told me take it or leave it. I've already got a Sempron 3100+ that's overclocked to FX-57 speeds on a DFI nF3 250GB and 7600GT AGP so that I can play the latest games. It was really difficult to make the decision to switch to the Intel CPU as my main PC. Now I'll be switching the ECS MB to MSI Neo2-FR and will also add a 8800GT once supply ramps up and prices fall.

Mostly picking a CPU is about bragging rights First 1 GHz CPU, great overclocking Bartons (instant 2500+ > 3200+), cooler running processors (SOI) than P4 Prescotts, 64-bit Linux OS, and now native quad-core.

Comment

Has anyone had tried running any variety of linux on the 7 series chipsets?

Comment

Originally posted by sreyan View Post
                Has anyone had tried running any variety of linux on the 7 series chipsets?
                I have a 790FX board sitting on my TODO desk for about a week, will hopefully get to it within a few days.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  I have a 790FX board sitting on my TODO desk for about a week, will hopefully get to it within a few days.

Thanks Michael!

Very interested to see what will work

Comment

Originally posted by sreyan View Post

Very interested to see what will work
                    Yeah! I like to buy myself a new rig and the MSI K9A2 Platinum along with a AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ are momentarily both on my list, so I'm really looking forward to a test of that chipset.

Comment

Working...
                    X