Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 4.4 ARB_buffer_storage Added To Nouveau

Phoronix: OpenGL 4.4 ARB_buffer_storage Added To Nouveau

Support for the ARB_buffer_storage extension mandated by the OpenGL 4.4 specification is now supported by Nouveau, the open-source NVIDIA Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is actually an extremely important extension for fast modern openGL. It's supported by 3.x hardware devices aswell making it available to most users.

Nvidia discussed this extension a lot in their recent opengl talk IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      This is actually an extremely important extension for fast modern openGL. It's supported by 3.x hardware devices aswell making it available to most users.

Nvidia discussed this extension a lot in their recent opengl talk IIRC.
      Was that the talk given by AMD and Intel as well, about making gl fast?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        Was that the talk given by AMD and Intel as well, about making gl fast?
        I think so. That the one where NV demonstrated the effects of the new extensions on CPU load?
        I think AMD is mirroring NV in OGL extensions.
        Anyone have some info on that?
        Are they included in OGL 4.4?

Comment

Just like with glTexStorage, this functionality is merely correcting mistakes that should have been avoided back in OpenGL 1.0 (ie. resizable objects).

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
            I think AMD is mirroring NV in OGL extensions.
            I don't think that's quite fair. The entire point of OpenGL is that it's open, and extensions are approved by multiple vendors.

I think EXT_ means 2 vendors, and ARB_ means 3+.

Everything that gets added into the core GL specs is at the very least backed heavily by both AMD and NVidia, and many of those extensions have come from both companies.

So they are both "mirroring" each other, if that's the way you want to think about it.

And yes, the talks NVidia has been giving have all focused around cross-vendor compatible core GL extensions, mostly GL4.x.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I think EXT_ means 2 vendors, and ARB_ means 3+.
              That's not correct. EXT is for vendor-neutral extensions (often collaborated development by multiple vendors).
              ARB (Architecture Review Board) extensions are recognized by Khronos, and are part of the official OpenGL spec.

Comment

Working...
              X