Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crytek Open-Sources Their Renderdoc Graphics Debugger

Phoronix: Crytek Open-Sources Their Renderdoc Graphics Debugger

Besides CRYENGINE coming to Linux, Crytek is reading from Valve's playbook and trying to be a bit open-source friendly as well... Crytek today open-sourced Renderdoc, their graphics debugger for game developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Crytek Open-Sources Their Renderdoc Graphics Debugger

Besides CRYENGINE coming to Linux, Crytek is reading from Valve's playbook and trying to be a bit open-source friendly as well... Crytek today open-sourced Renderdoc, their graphics debugger for game developers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4Mzc
    I find it very interesting that companies go for fully permissive licences very often now.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      I find it very interesting that companies go for fully permissive licences very often now.
      Ryan C. Gordon (icculus) said about this

Originally posted by icculus
      Did y'all feel that breeze? That's the wind changing directions. Stuff is getting open sourced by default now.

Comment

It is interesting, but it isn't surprising either. Google, IBM, intel, Facebook, Oracle, Red Hat, and Novell are all companies that heavily profit off of open source software, many of which they didn't make themselves (but at least contributed to). These companies have all proved that some software will only be crippled if you close the source.

Comment

Companies hate copyleft for obvious reasons. They think it's harder to make money with it.

The core of their profit is almost never free/libre, sadly.

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Ryan C. Gordon (icculus) said about this

https://twitter.com/icculus/status/463708956981231616
          “Open source” or not has nothing to do with the copyleft or permissive license used. The GNU GPL and LGPL are both FSF-approved and OSI-approved.
          Last edited by Calinou; 08 May 2014, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Cool!

I hope Crytek will open source more stuff!

Comment

Working...
            X