Intel P-State Driver Might Still Be Causing Wonky Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel P-State Driver Might Still Be Causing Wonky Linux Performance

Phoronix: Intel P-State Driver Might Still Be Causing Wonky Linux Performance

Last year on earlier versions of the Linux kernel we've uncovered performance issues around Intel's P-State / CPUfreq driver that was causing adverse performance in certain configurations. While it looked like most of the Intel CPU clocking issues were resolved in more recent versions of the Linux kernel, it looks like some Linux performance problems are present in Linux 3.14...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On Ethernet too

I see a _major_ performance regression on 3.14 Ethernet performance as well, this issue might explain that.

On 3.13 I can easily saturate my 1Gbps link, on 3.14 it's 100 (!!!) times slower, I only get like 1.2MBps

This is on my T440s with F20.
    I run 3.13 now obviously

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
      I see a _major_ performance regression on 3.14 Ethernet performance as well, this issue might explain that.

On 3.13 I can easily saturate my 1Gbps link, on 3.14 it's 100 (!!!) times slower, I only get like 1.2MBps

This is on my T440s with F20.
      I run 3.13 now obviously
      How do you like the T440s? Was thinking of getting one
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

kernel 3.15...

kernel 3.15 is better than 3.14 and 3.13

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          kernel 3.15 is better than 3.14 and 3.13
          But I have yet to hear that they've changed their mind about killing off support for 16-bit segments on 64-bit kernels.

I'd really rather use Wine than waste CPU time and lose the moral high ground by running a pirated copy of Win3.1 in DOSBox, thank you very much.

Comment

You never got a W3.11 license? Even though I've long lost the box, floppies, and license, since I paid for one I feel fully morally ok to pirate w3.11 for a VM.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              You never got a W3.11 license? Even though I've long lost the box, floppies, and license, since I paid for one I feel fully morally ok to pirate w3.11 for a VM.
              In between the original IBM PC which I, sadly, no longer have and the HP Pavilion 8160 (which came with Win95), all of our PCs were my father's bring-home-from-work laptops.

...plus, GOG.com is gearing up to support Linux and they apparently already use Wine for some of their MacOS offerings but, obviously, can't sell DOSBox bundles containing pirated copies of Win3.1.
              Last edited by ssokolow; 09 May 2014, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X