Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Is Sticking To Ubuntu LTS Releases

Phoronix: Linux Mint Is Sticking To Ubuntu LTS Releases

The popular Linux Mint distribution has officially announced today that they will stick to using Ubuntu LTS releases as the bases of their operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So they will bring Cinamon to Ubuntu? Also they've settled with Ubuntu about the repos? They should indeed use their own repos to take pressure away from Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
      So they will bring Cinamon to Ubuntu? Also they've settled with Ubuntu about the repos? They should indeed use their own repos to take pressure away from Ubuntu.
      i believe the servers are the same for all distributions. Example http://mirror.fcaglp.unlp.edu.ar/ this server host 4 distributions packages. There are no especific Ubuntu servers...

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        there are no Ubuntu servers, there are shared servers example
        mirror fcaglp unlp edu ar

debian.c3sl.ufpr br
        ubuntu.c3sl.ufpr br
        archlinux.c3sl.ufpr br
        Last edited by philipmorris; 14 May 2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          In total there will be three Linux Mint releases built upon the Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" packages with sticking to a six-month release cadence.
          I would think four, not three, unless they are going to skip a release, but I saw no mention of that in Clem's post.

Comment

Great, now Mint is going to be out of date nearly to the point of being useless.

What distro to I recommend to newbies now?

Comment

Have a look here:
              http://distrowatch.com/

Personally I don't trust small distros much, hence you might use:
              http://sourceforge.net/projects/leopardflower/

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
                Great, now Mint is going to be out of date nearly to the point of being useless.

Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME welcome you arms opened.

Comment

What about their Debian version?

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post

Ubuntu's, LTS's get full back ports from there Development releases, so you don't have to worry about it getting dated any more.

Comment

Working...
                    X