Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.19 Starts Work On Direct2D Support

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.19 Starts Work On Direct2D Support

The latest bi-weekly Wine 1.7 release is now available that will ultimately lead up to the Wine 1.8 stable release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They'd be smart to use Mozilla's azure lib for this. That way you can plugin skia or Cairo depending on which is installed (maybe, with some work, they could plugin the qt drawing library).

Comment

I've noticed someone has gone in with Valgrind and started looking for and fixing memory sloppiness.

Comment

On my case saint row the third works (with graphics bugs) (begins working since wine 1.7.18 vanilla but nodvd is required) and steam still work

Comment

Originally posted by A Laggy Grunt View Post
          I've noticed someone has gone in with Valgrind and started looking for and fixing memory sloppiness.
          It seems that these bugs are just memory leaks in tests. Their fixing will make valgrind happy but gives no benefit. It can slowdown tests a little because of additional frees.

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
            It seems that these bugs are just memory leaks in tests. Their fixing will make valgrind happy but gives no benefit. It can slowdown tests a little because of additional frees.
            The tests can exercise the code in ways that trigger bugs involving leaks, which is useful in automated regression tests. However, if the tests themselves have leaks, actual memory leaks that would have been caught will be lost to a sea of noise. Fixing leaks in the tests themselves is therefore important. As for slowing down the tests, the time spent in free() should be neligibile in comparison to the time spent testing stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
              The tests can exercise the code in ways that trigger bugs involving leaks, which is useful in automated regression tests. However, if the tests themselves have leaks, actual memory leaks that would have been caught will be lost to a sea of noise. Fixing leaks in the tests themselves is therefore important. As for slowing down the tests, the time spent in free() should be negligible in comparison to the time spent testing stuff.
              I should elaborate that tests fixes enable continuous integration testing to automate a tedious task that developers would be doing manually. Consequently, no one cares that the fixes made the buildbot running the tests take <0.1% more time (my guess) when they enable the developers to do more in the same span of time.

Comment

Nice changelog. I've had problems with some long-running software under wine becoming very sluggish over time, probably due to some bad memory handling, hopefully this will help somewhat. Unfortunatly, I just got hooked on Heartstone, and 1.7.18 had a regression that broke it. Oh well, hopefully it'll be fixed before 1.8.

Comment

Working...
                X