Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-Day Status Update On The LibreSSL OpenSSL-Fork

Phoronix: 30-Day Status Update On The LibreSSL OpenSSL-Fork

Bob Beck of the OpenBSD project has provided a status update on the first 30 days of the LibreSSL project that's a fork of OpenSSL following the notorious heartbleed bug...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Re

1 thing I don't like is that they intentionally removed the support for other platforms(You can see that even from the first commits)...
    And they call this half-million diffs? Most of the diff is removed support for other platforms...

Comment

I hope they make a better job than debian did: http://web.archive.org/web/200911051...ebian-openssl/

Comment

Originally posted by mark_ View Post
        I hope they make a better job than debian did: http://web.archive.org/web/200911051...ebian-openssl/
        If OpenSSL's PRNG hadn't used areas of uninitialised memory as part of its seeding, Debian wouldn't have accidentally introduced that bug,

If OpenSSL's PRNG didn't fall back to really bad entropy sources as a last resort, the bug wouldn't have been hidden for so long and fixed sooner.

LibreSSL gets rid of OpenSSL's PRNG entirely and uses something much simpler - the OS kernel's PRNG to seed, and arc4random to stretch the amount of output - fairly well understood and has been used already by OpenSSH, libevent, Bionic libc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
          1 thing I don't like is that they intentionally removed the support for other platforms(You can see that even from the first commits)...
          And they call this half-million diffs? Most of the diff is removed support for other platforms...
          LibreSSL will be portable. They need a small codebase in order to fix the beast, and the OpenSSL portability approach was really wrong.

Comment

I would rather they spent time better maintaining the core code and fix the most commonly used platforms than expend efforts on things like 16 bit Windows, DOS etc

Comment

hardware AES

so did LibreSSL make nicer and easier support of the hardware acceleration on AES?

Comment

It was removed temporarily. They already have a plan in place for how to support other platforms but their first goal is "Make it work on OpenBSD. Make it work right." THEN they are gonna worry about other platforms.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Frankly, I think the Linux Foundation should pull the funding from OpenSSL and give it to these guys.

Comment

The Linux Fundation won't give money to a project that only run on OpenBSD. Until they officialy get the penguin support back, they might consider if they compare to how the openssl is doing compared to libressl.

Comment

Working...
                    X