Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Is At 1.4 Million Lines Of Code

Phoronix: Mesa Is At 1.4 Million Lines Of Code

Mesa is up to 1.4 million lines of code and has already seen almost 2,500 Git commits so far this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Clearly too much code, time to remove all that pesky stuff like 3D and resettle on nice, streamlined framebuffers.

Comment

I'd be curious to see a more specific breakdown. Is it mostly in Radeon? Nouveau? Intel? OpenGL Functions? Gallium3D Core?
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I wonder whether the people complaining about systemd and its apparent bloat will care about the size of this too.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          I wonder whether the people complaining about systemd and its apparent bloat will care about the size of this too.
          MESA doesn't have the capability to predict the arctic melt-rate or provide 3D printed exoskeletons thus far. Maybe when they get onto those much needed features of a graphics library, it will be upto par with the systemd kernel.

Comment

I have to chuckle every time I see the graph saying that gmail.com does all the work.

A while back, I wanted to put together some code review statistics, and couldn't find any decent tools to do that. So I wrote some simple scripts to generate review and commit stats for Mesa and Piglit. I then extended it to group results by organization/company. It may not be entirely accurate, but it should be a fairly decent approximation. It works by calling 'git log', so you can filter with --since, --grep, subdirectories, or whatever you like.

I found the results rather amusing, but I'll let someone else run them and interpret...
            Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
            Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              Yeah, because coding for non-standard graphics systems is the same as coding a initialization system for linux.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                Yeah, because coding for non-standard graphics systems is the same as coding a initialization system for linux.
                The systemd project isn't just initialization system. It consists of many binaries, and most aren't part of the init system.

Comment

Working...
                X