Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PathScale Is Hiring To Work On Open-Source AMD Drivers

Phoronix: PathScale Is Hiring To Work On Open-Source AMD Drivers

PathScale, the company behind the EKOPath compiler and other compiler technologies for both CPUs and GPGPU solutions, is looking to hire one or two kernel developers to work on improving the open-source AMD Linux graphics drivers... Particularly, to improve the GPGPU/OpenCL compute support in the driver, improve the Hawaii GPU and APU support, and potential optimizations for GPUs with 4GB+ of video memory...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's what I call a good news
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Nice !

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        That's what I call a good news
        What he said. Good news indeed.

Comment

Outstanding..I think it would be hilarious that it might wind up being possible to run FAH on the open source drivers before you can on Catalyst.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
          Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
            Outstanding..I think it would be hilarious that it might wind up being possible to run FAH on the open source drivers before you can on Catalyst.
            That would be pretty funny, and amazing, and awesome. While it shouldn't be another company's obligation to be working on drivers for another company's hardware, every additional source of contribution helps. Within a couple years I can see the open source radeon drivers being the best drivers for all of linux.

Comment

Maybe Mesa will indeed reach OGL 4.0 compliance this year. No sarcasm!

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                Maybe Mesa will indeed reach OGL 4.0 compliance this year. No sarcasm!
                This work is not about OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  That would be pretty funny, and amazing, and awesome. While it shouldn't be another company's obligation to be working on drivers for another company's hardware, every additional source of contribution helps. Within a couple years I can see the open source radeon drivers being the best drivers for all of linux.
                  Intel is probably closer currently, not to mention Radeon isn't perfect at all for various reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    Intel is probably closer currently, not to mention Radeon isn't perfect at all for various reasons.
                    Proportionate to the Windows drivers, intel performs better and gets support for things much quicker. However, I've had much better performance and much less 3D rendering issues on radeon.

On a side note - I really look forward to openCL support for the radeon drivers, because then I can actually put my 2nd GPU to use when running linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X