Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal Issues Appear To Cause My ASUS Zenbook Linux Woes

Phoronix: Thermal Issues Appear To Cause My ASUS Zenbook Linux Woes

As I've expressed on Twitter and in a past article I've run into some tough times recently with the ASUS Zenbook UX301LAA ultrabook under Linux. ASUS wasn't of much help and after further system reboots, the issue appears to be heat-related with this Intel Haswell ultrabook...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't you use anything other than Ubuntu? Like c'mon.

Comment

Install Windows on it. Reproduce the problem. Send it back to ASUS.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
        I do... I routinely use Fedora, Debian, RHEL/CentOS/Scientific, and others. I started out with Mandrake. But for purposes of my main system, Ubuntu LTS releases get the job done, have been using it since Fedora Core became too unstable/unreliable in its earlier days, etc. It's not that Ubuntu is causing these thermal issues.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

You're using an ultrabook... of course it's going to have thermal issues... the only oddity is that you're indicating thermal issues while idling.

Comment

On the desktop I have, gaming and stress testing wouldn't throw the CPU temp to the thermal limit I have set in BIOS, and all was well. However, three notable actions (one being installing MSI Afterburner, one being from patching anything using Blizzard's launcher (SC2, D3, and MoP), and the other running the math test in PerformanceTest 7) would cause the computer to shut off abruptly.

Turns out, those three actions alone (not hours of gaming (mainly GW2 at the time) or 20 minutes worth of stress testing with prime95) would cause the temp on my CPU to quickly go past the thermal limit, and then drop quickly. No idea why, but that's the strangest issue I've had dealing with temps.

Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
            Why?

Comment

It looks like a hardware issue. It's not like Linux was never tested on an ultrabook to set a proper thermal limit.

Comment

I would try to reproduce the issue with Windows because I guess it's an hardware issue.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  I would try to reproduce the issue with Windows because I guess it's an hardware issue.
                  No time / ability to play around with that when it's my main production system until I switch out the ultrabook/laptop.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

lol

simply change the thermal paste, what its the new? first thing you need to do in all laptops if we want good temps, you people don't know nothing about hardware? your thermal paste it's burn, simply thing.... so much troble for nothing

Comment

Working...
                    X