Red Hat Announces General Availability Of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Announces General Availability Of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7

Phoronix: Red Hat Announces General Availability Of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7

I mentioned yesterday RHEL 7 would probably be announced tomorrow and it has indeed panned out. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still using GNOME 2.x? If they don't want GNOME 3 why not MATE or Xfce? Why are people so goddamn attached to GNOME 2.x? It wasn't THAT amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      Still using GNOME 2.x? If they don't want GNOME 3 why not MATE or Xfce? Why are people so goddamn attached to GNOME 2.x? It wasn't THAT amazing.
      Look closer, its Gnome 3 Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post
        Look closer, its Gnome 3 Classic.
        Indeed it is. Thank god.

Comment

I wonder how fast CentOS will follow suit ...

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
            ...and it looks and runs great
            It doesn't look that great. Just look at the minimize / maximize and close buttons. They look childish, round and old fashioned like how sci-fi used to look in the 80s.

Out of all the crappy Gnome 3 Consumer features that have been replaced in Gnome 3 Classic, why did those ugly buttons have to stay? At least all three are there by default I suppose :/
            Last edited by kpedersen; 10 June 2014, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
              I wonder how fast CentOS will follow suit ...
              Pretty fast, it looks like. Builds are running now, according to the blog they set up to keep people updated about CentOS 7 status.

Comment

I am very eager to know if the switch to systemd will have any negative or positive impact on their sales of support contracts. Do they release usage numbers (of course would make only sense in about a year or so)?

Comment

Why XFS and not ext4?

Curious about why they went with XFS and not ext4. Did one of last year's ext4 data loss bugs have a corner case that escaped the bugfixes? Is XFS faster or more easily recovererd than ext4?

I heard that every sold copy of RHEL comes with on-call tech support(that's what's actually being paid for), so I can see how RHEL would have to be utterly solid. Otherwise it would be like telling a newbie to update their kernel on an older version of Ubuntu while running a binary blob video driver: expect lots of phone calls and hand-holding.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    Curious about why they went with XFS and not ext4. Did one of last year's ext4 data loss bugs have a corner case that escaped the bugfixes? Is XFS faster or more easily recovererd than ext4?

I heard that every sold copy of RHEL comes with on-call tech support(that's what's actually being paid for), so I can see how RHEL would have to be utterly solid. Otherwise it would be like telling a newbie to update their kernel on an older version of Ubuntu while running a binary blob video driver: expect lots of phone calls and hand-holding.
                    I've read that XFS is a better filesystem, and ext4 is getting obsolete and has some design flaws. The problem with XFS was until a while ago the implementation was not that good, but that has been fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X