Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5 Beta 3 Released

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5 Beta 3 Released

Besides shipping KDE 4.13.2, the KDE development community has also released today the third beta of KDE Frameworks 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No live iso of the beta 3?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      No live iso of the beta 3?
      You can use Kubuntu Neon 5 to try Plasma Next. It includes git versions of Plasma (the desktop), all of the Frameworks (libraries), and Apps (where only System Settings, Kate, and Konsole have Qt 5 versions at this point).

Comment

Today?
        It was released on 5 June!

June 5, 2014. Today KDE makes available the third beta of Frameworks 5. This release is part of a series of releases leading up to the final version planned for July 2014.

Comment

nobody cares

Even as a long time proponent of KDE, I have given up on this. Other than serve as an experiment for its core developers, it does NOTHING useful and retrogrades with each new release/version as the scant few apps become even scarcer when they do not get ported to the new version. And the developers merrily keep experimenting with useless ideas/concepts (useless for the masses).

I wish they would pool their expertise to get unity 8 working and develop apps for that platform instead of trying to maintain another platform.

Comment

Originally posted by mvaar View Post
            I wish they would pool their expertise to get unity 8 working and develop apps for that platform instead of trying to maintain another platform.
            Not sure how this is related to Frameworks 5, which is exactly an effort to make KDE's Qt addon libraries more accessible to app developers outside the KDE community.

Since you bring up Unity 8, which is a workspace implementation, maybe you are mistakingly posting in the wrong thread and are looking for the one on Plasma Next?

Cheers,
            _

Comment

I think you are confused. KDE is probably most established DE that still lives and evolves while unity 8 is yet another platform developed inhouse that is used only in one distro on mobile devices.

Comment

Even as a long time proponent of KDE, I have given up on this. Other than serve as an experiment for its core developers, it does NOTHING useful and retrogrades with each new release/version as the scant few apps become even scarcer when they do not get ported to the new version. And the developers merrily keep experimenting with useless ideas/concepts (useless for the masses).

Unity is a desktop shell comparable to Plasma.

This announcement is not about Plasma, but about the KDE libraries on top of which you can build applications, which do all sorts of things that Unity cannot do. Things like archiving, network transparent file access, improved canvases for office applications, etc. Unity doesn't do any of this since unity is not a platform, just an interface.

Unity used to be a GNOME front-end and it used GNOME applications and libraries for most things. Now it is migrating to a front-end to a strange mixture of GNOME, GTK and Qt applications hacked to look similar. Unity needs a platform like KDE Frameworks or GNOME. Without these frameworks, Unity would be a launcher for Xlib and Motif software.

Comment

Working...
                X