Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland-based Compositor With An Oculus Rift

Phoronix: Wayland-based Compositor With An Oculus Rift

The "Motorcar Compositor" is an interesting Wayland-based compositor that supports using an Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra with support for 3D windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

seems pretty useless and gimmicky, but still AWESOME at the same time. However, if set up properly, it could put a whole new meaning to multiple workspaces.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      seems pretty useless and gimmicky, but still AWESOME at the same time. However, if set up properly, it could put a whole new meaning to multiple workspaces.
      Not useless, instead of buying 3 screens, I would have one occulus desktop. And windows placed in a 3D physical environement could be way more intuitive than every single 2D desktop.

Comment

That's pretty darn neat. I don't know if that is the best way to handle text-based 2D applications, but it has potential for applications built around 3D displays, and seems like it can simulate a lot of screen estate.

Comment

Compiz/Beryl ain't got no shit on this. Needs a skybox and some floating panel, where you can minimize windows to and launch new applications.

Comment

WOW

WOW!!! I've been waiting this for years! Now I will be able to hack into the NSA like in Hollywood movies while I stream everything on YouTube and get a lot of likes on Facebook! So awesome! Yes, please!

Comment

I really like where these 3D, multi-monitor replacement systems are going. At some point, potentially very soon, physical constraints on computer-visual interaction will be a thing of the past. Right now it's largely unusable, but I think these sorts of demo videos will, decades from now, bear a little resemblance to the famous "Mother of All Demos"
              "The Mother of All Demos is a name given retrospectively to Douglas Engelbart's December 9, 1968, demonstration of experimental computer technologies that ar...

Also, I wonder if there is any crossover, design wise or code wise, with the Ibex project:

Comment

Any idea how the colored cube is implemented? I thought Wayland clients provided 2D surfaces to the compositor, not 3D objects.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  i'd say it's awesome as show of what wayland compositor can actually do. same as this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjuP...iQc7b5mw1iZUgB

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    Any idea how the colored cube is implemented? I thought Wayland clients provided 2D surfaces to the compositor, not 3D objects.
                    Maybe the client's texture is just mapped to a cube ? Or maybe the cube isn't even a client wayland app, but just a feature of the compositor ?

Comment

Working...
                    X