No announcement yet.

AMD Reportedly Plans To Bring Mantle To Linux, Calls Mantle An Open-Source API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Reportedly Plans To Bring Mantle To Linux, Calls Mantle An Open-Source API

Phoronix: AMD Reportedly Plans To Bring Mantle To Linux, Calls Mantle An Open-Source API

The latest official word from an AMD representative is that, yes, their Mantle API will come to Linux but they're not yet providing any time-line or firm support commitments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

would be pretty funny if they open source it and it performs better on nvidia.

Comment

Great news.
      AMD probably looked at how much work making OGL work properly on linux and said F-it....wont take that much more to make Mantle work on Linux.

We can only hope AMD is going full steam ahead on this.
      IMO there will probably be a lot of collaboration with Crytek and SC on this project considering SC may well be the first Linux title with potential Mantle support.

Mantle might require Wayland/Mir support?

Comment

Good news. Bring it on AMD.

Comment

If Open Sourced right of the bat, the community would be able to start adding support to the open drivers.
          I wonder if they want full support on their proprietary drivers first, to have an advantage for a little while.
          Dunno why they would though. Intel isn't really a graphics competitor yet. Noveau is still pretty far behind, and nVidia has no plans to support Mantle anytime soon.

Comment

Get Mantle into MESA, *then* call it open source.

It would be awesome too if the useful bits of the Mantle API is incorporated into OpenGL 5 though.

Comment

If Mantle came to mesa, wouldn't they have to build everything from scratch? Could some of the current driver infrastructure or code be reused?

Comment

Originally posted by UraniumDeer View Post
                If Open Sourced right of the bat, the community would be able to start adding support to the open drivers.
                I wonder if they want full support on their proprietary drivers first, to have an advantage for a little while.
                Dunno why they would though. Intel isn't really a graphics competitor yet. Noveau is still pretty far behind, and nVidia has no plans to support Mantle anytime soon.
                i think you jumped on hype train a bit too soon.

it is open API, not open source solution.

and you kinda require GCN to use it which is why only new amd cards are compatible.

i think only radeonsi could actually go for what you say. other vendors definitely won't license something needing complete abandonment of their way when that vendor is not a threat. amd simply has no cards to dictate tempo
                Last edited by justmy2cents; 18 June 2014, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                  If Mantle came to mesa, wouldn't they have to build everything from scratch? Could some of the current driver infrastructure or code be reused?
                  I've no idea about mantle API. But from Apple's low-level API metal I think Mantle will be very similar to gallium API.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                    and you kinda require GCN to use it which is why only new amd cards are compatible.
                    It require Hardware Features that currently only met AMDs GCN Cards. So Mantle need Some Hardware Features but not GCN Special.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats pretty weak AMD, do Something! Release the Specification to the Public or stop speaking about Open-Source. And i doubt that AMD bring Mantle to Linux and if only as a Runtime, because the lack of a HLSL Compiler.

Comment

Working...
                    X