Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The X Window System Turns 30 Years Old Today

Phoronix: The X Window System Turns 30 Years Old Today

It was on this day 30 years ago that the X Window System was first announced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, are you in Moscow right now?

I see glimpses of my homeland on your pics

Comment

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday X!!

I hope you won't die for another five more years or so.

Comment

To another 30!

Comment

30 years is enough. Lets give space for the younger, cough, Wayland

Comment

It's time to replace X with W (wayland).

Comment

Cheers

edit: It is oldtimer but it is not older than GNU , X is born 9 months after GNU initiated .
              Last edited by dungeon; 19 June 2014, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adonai View Post
                Michael, are you in Moscow right now?

I see glimpses of my homeland on your pics
                He said a few days ago he was on his way to Russia, so if you're seeing yourself in there, then he's probably landed =D

And 30 years. Wow, even MS can't even compete with that.
                Hi

Comment

X11 and X12

We're highly unlikely to ever see X12, since we're transitioning to Wayland.
                  Then everything will run on top of Wayland, except legacy applications that run with backward-compatibility on XWayland, hence still X11.

I think they should remove all the unnecessary stuff from the X11 protocol though, so left is a smaller subset of the X11 protocol.
                  It could be called microX11 or X11-Lite or something.

Then X.org could conform to the new subset protocol instead of the full fledged X11 protocol, that way we could have a leaner code base that was faster, more secure, and less buggy.
                  It wouldn't be backwards-compatible with 30 year old X11 applications, but who cares, its not anyway since software are dynamically linked against more recent version of glibc and such.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    We're highly unlikely to ever see X12, since we're transitioning to Wayland.
                    Then everything will run on top of Wayland, except legacy applications that run with backward-compatibility on XWayland, hence still X11.

I think they should remove all the unnecessary stuff from the X11 protocol though, so left is a smaller subset of the X11 protocol.
                    It could be called microX11 or X11-Lite or something.

Then X.org could conform to the new subset protocol instead of the full fledged X11 protocol, that way we could have a leaner code base that was faster, more secure, and less buggy.
                    It wouldn't be backwards-compatible with 30 year old X11 applications, but who cares, its not anyway since software are dynamically linked against more recent version of glibc and such.
                    In some sense Wayland is X12. It is just that they decided not to name it X12.

Comment

Working...
                    X