Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Wins Over AMD For Linux Gaming Ultra HD 4K Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA Wins Over AMD For Linux Gaming Ultra HD 4K Performance

As it's been a while since last delivering any "4K" resolution OpenGL benchmarks at Phoronix, out today -- now that we're done with our massive 60+ GPU open-source testing and 35-way proprietary driver comparison -- are benchmarks of several NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon graphics cards when running an assortment of Linux games and other OpenGL tests at the 4K resolution.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

r7 260x(~129$) in most tests >= 750ti(~149$). Where is Nvidia wins?

Comment

When running Valve's Counter-Strike: Source at 3840 x 2160, the graphics cards that couldn't deliver at least a 60 FPS average were the GTX 650, GT 740, and GTX 750 Ti.
      I think you meant GTX 750 instead of GTX 750 TI.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
        I counted 5 tests where the 750 TI performed better than the R7 260x, and 3 the other way around. In general they seem to perform about equally. So it really depends where your priorities lie: a lower investment (€130 vs €110, 18% cheaper) or a lower energy usage (TDP 70W vs 115W, 50% higher energy usage).

P.S. Talking about the 2GB version of the 260x, of course. The 1GB version would performance much worse at high resolutions.

Comment

The 750Ti is definitely worth the $20 "premium"

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
          We might "save" $20 off the retail price, but we would pay for the decision many times over for the life of the card.
          • The 260X with almost double the TDP (60W vs 115W) might take an additional $20 in additional electricity over its life.
          • If we have to update your power supply to use it, then the 750Ti is a no-brainer, as we aren't going to do that for less than $20.
          • Capabilities provided by the 750Ti (stability, best-in-class OGL4.4, multi-year support, CUDA, openCL perf)
          • If the Ti saves us an hour in fiddling with configurations over its life, we definitely come out ahead (assuming we value our time > $20/hr). I have 100% confidence, based on extensive experience, that we would spend definitely less using NV.

Prototype Steamboxes seem to prefer 750Ti's over 260X's for all the reasons listed above.

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
            Uhn, I could make a quad crossfire of R9 270x (~200$ each) for the price of a single GTX 780 Ti (~800$).
            Sure, Nvidia "wins".
            Do you have any benchmarks of a quad-crossfire R9 270x setup? Because it will most certainly not perform 4 times a single 270x.
            And I also think that a 780 TI will consume less electricity.

In the end people buying a top-end GTX 780 TI don't really care all that much about price/performance ratio's.

Comment

Actually they do...

Originally posted by clementl View Post
              ... In the end people buying a top-end GTX 780 TI don't really care all that much about price/performance ratio's.
              Actually, I think most of us do. Just some value time, productivity, and reliability more than others.

How much time and hassle is it to configure and install a quad-crossfire 260x rig? Lost me there already - my time is more valuable than that. GTX780Ti it is.

Life advice: Drive a sensible car so you can afford kick-ass tech.

Comment

I wonder how not being able to tell a pixel apart from its neighbor makes a game more fun

Comment

Slightly OT: Does anyone know if you can downsample on Linux? I'd love to run a 4K Res on my 1440p monitor in games.

Comment

This has got to be the dumbest computer related debate I've seen in a while. While I am an AMD user myself, none of your opinions really matter when tests show that in linux, nvidia is CURRENTLY more cost effective and a better all around product. In the windows world, both brands are about equally as good - it all depends on what you do.

I feel like it won't be long until AMD's radeon drivers will catch up with the nvidia closed source.

Comment

Working...
                    X